Sustainability in the Brewing Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sustainability in the Brewing Industry

Of late it seems many issues regarding sustainability (renewable energy, "green" practices, environmental stewardship, etc.) have crept into the Forum. I would like to start an on-going discussion on what brewers are doing with sustainable practices in their brewery and what you believe the future may hold.

Since brewers are very heavy users of water and energy, I believe being proactive in the reduction of these resources is vital, not only economically, but for the future (just wait until they start rationing water out West...). What, I ask you, has become cheaper and more plentiful for brewing beer? As the old saw goes, "it's easier to save money than it is to earn it" - why not apply that to all aspects of beer production (without sacrificing quality, of course)?

The reasons I want to start this discussion is I believe we all can make a difference - big brewer or small - and the writing on the wall is pointing towards this future. Look at New Belgium, Stone and Sierra Nevada (among others) - they're made huge investments in renewables and other sustainable programs. Do you think those brewers got to where they are by making snap, "trendy" decision about sustainability?

Another reason for this discussion is I'm involved in a new brewery project that will be built starting with a base of sustainability. Wind, Solar and Geothermal. A "green-built" brewery. Greywater recycling. I want to produce "net zero beer" (wait, isn't that Mich Ultra???). Lofty goals, but unless I try, I'll never know. I'm looking to tap the fabulous depth of knowledge and ideas of this forum.

(This is a "testing the waters" post, as I've asked the ProBrewer Admin if we could add a new section to "The Big Picture" focused on "Sustainability in Brewing.")

Any takers?

David Anderson
    BrewFarm Enterprises, LLP
    Little Wolf Farmstead, LLP

Sure,

Sounds good.

Count me in.

Cheers,
    Ron
    Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

I'll Bite

I am especially interested in what we can do as brewers in small breweries, 7-20 BBL's, can do. Many options the larger breweries have are just not cost effective for many of us in the micro setting. We have a lot of smart and creative people here that together could likely come up with some easy ways to both, be green, and save some green.
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

We're definitely in as well. Sustainability is part of our motto so we are very interested in participating.
        COAST Brewing Company

Comment

You Bet

This is what I'm all about as well. I'd be glad to take part.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBoy
            (just wait until they start rationing water out West...)
            Any takers?

David Anderson
            BrewFarm Enterprises, LLP
            Little Wolf Farmstead, LLP
            They ration water already and you should see the fighting over water (from court to smacking another farmer in the back of the head with a shovel.) Would rather save, innovate, and find options then start another resource-based conflict. Make beer not war.
            Though I do want to invade Utah someday

Very timely and interesting forum idea-- who could be the moderator?

Comment

I'm with jephro. I have a 10bbl brewery and I would love to hear some good ideas for a brewery this size.

Comment

What form in the Forum?

Seems there's a groundswell of enthusiasm for a new Sustainability forum topic (well, maybe not a "groundswell" but it's a positive start). How would those who want to participate like to see this presented? Do we need a "sustainability moderator?" Separate sections for the different aspects (renewables, "green" building, recycling ideas, etc.)? Or, should we just throw it all into the pot and see what comes of it? (I'm for the free-form version. I'm not much for rules or regulation....)

I'll throw my hat in and start a topic: How did you "get into" sustainable practices, especially with regards to brewing?

For myself, I'd say I "evolved" into sustainability. As I was putting together my plan for my own brewery, things sustainable kept popping up as logical, economical (in the long run) answers to many questions. Then I began to dig into the sustainability movement and it just seemed to make sense. Not from a "holier-than-thou-I-recycle-therefore-I'm-going-straight-to-beer-heaven" perspective but we, as brewers, are heavy users of precious resources and with a little proactive thinking and actions, CAN make a difference. Maybe it's as "token" as recycling cardboard when you hadn't in the past. Or spending more to get wind generated electricity. It all adds up.

What's your story? What are you doing now? What would you like to do in the future?

Comment

sustainability

We are a 10 BBl brewery in a small community and have begun talking with "green builders" as we look to an expansion and have acutally toyed with the idea of sharing a space with an organic bakery that also needs to expand. Would love to hear what others are doing and how, espcially from the cost prespective as we have checked into solar heated water panels - although in the long run they would be very cost effective the price is very high intitially.
                  Like the idea of throwing it all in one pot and see what comes up as someone may happen upon some info or share some info that may not have clicked on the "appropriate" forum! Maybe we could start a Brewers Unite to Save America
                  We have been looking into switching our plastic tasting cups to biodegradable cups to help reduce the waste at the dump - besides being 4 cents more a cup they are made from corn which is creating a strain on our food crops - any suggestions on what others have done in switching to a sustainable cup?
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2007, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Sutainability

I think this type of conversation is great! We are a new brewpub(7bbl), scheduled to open mid January. We are taking a sustainble approach to our business whenever possible. Some things we have done that are not crazy expensieve are: 1)Being a part of "Blue Sky Program" in which we pay more for our power bill, which in turn gives the power company more money to invest in renewable power such as wind and wave. In effect we are using "green" energy for our brewery without having to invest thousands putting in solar panel etc. 2) We purchace "carbon offsets" from our gas company. With this money they plant trees, and are working on capturing methane from cow crap. This way we off set the emisions from our burner. 3) We have a heat exchanger for incoming city water that is looped with glycol. We are able to drop our cooling water down in temp to knock out using less water...and capture water in a HLT to be used for the next brew. 4) We recyle everything possible, compost food scraps, use natural light during the day, and in general teach sustainability to our employees. We are far from perfect but we have to goal in mind to be constantly moving towards more sustainable pracitces. Let's continue this conversation and move to preserve craft brew for the next 7 generations!

Nick
                    Block 15 Brewing Company

Comment

Suggested reading

Great Discussion!
                      I thought I'd suggest a book that is particularly helpful with choosing your environmental battles, and making more impact per decision:

"The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices"
                      by the Union of Concerned Scientist

A great book! Hope you enjoy it.
                      Here's the address to a review, etc. at Powell's Books:

Cheers-

Lee Chase
                      Brewing Industry Consultant
                      619-200-7522
                      Lee Chase
                      Consultant to the Craft-Brewing Industry
                      619-200-7522
                      www.brewingconsultant.com

Comment

Brewery sustainability

We implement many different programs into our day to day operations in our brewpub. We are a Green Certified Business by the County of Marin and some of the practical things we do to reduce our footprint on the environments are things such as:

We use all our vegetable oil from our fryer to power our veggie powered beer delivery vehicle, the Ambrewlance. Go to www.ironspringspub.com/pgholder.html for more info.

Getting an energy audit done and install low wattage, carbon reducing bulbs and ballasts. Iron Springs just completed our new lighting retrofit. This energy conservation measure will save 13,345 kwh/yr, 3.210 kw, and reduce the emission of carbon dioxide {co2} into the atmosphere by 6,939 lbs/yr. We continue to seek out and explore new ways of running the most energy efficient, low impact business, that we possibly can.

All of our to go containers, straws, etc, are all made from compostable, corn based material.

The list continues, for more information please fell free to contact me at
                        maltman@ironspringspub.com

Comment

For all the brewers with cold boxes/refrigerators in cold climates this solution is so elegant and effective it must be looked at.

GOSLOT88 adalah situs betting slot online resmi terpercaya di Indonesia yang memberikan bonus new member 100% serta bocoran strategi cuan besar dari slot online dijamin cuan terus!

In a nutshell, use cold outdoor air to cool your walk in or reefers.

Comment

i think its the wrong industry to be in should you be worried about waste water... it's un avoidable really.
                            GeorgeJ
                            Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
                            Yokohama, Japan.

Comment

waste should be a four letter word

Apologies but I beg to differ. Waste water could be looked at as resource water as brewery effluent is raw material for all sorts of things from algae up the chain to fish. There is a reason that Gunter Pauli focused on breweries right away with ZERI. Let's make waste a four letter word!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X