Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Addition

Hello Forumites,
    I am about to add some coffee to my 7 bbl batch of Oatmeal Stout to create a "breakfast stout". I'm set on doing a cold extraction to create the coffee but wonder where the best/most sanitary/oxygen free place to add it is. I was figuring to add it to a fully purged serving vessel (with positive pressure applied to the tank as I pour in the coffee through my top manway). This will inevitably put some O2 in the tank but not too much I'm hoping. Does anyone have a better way to add it that lets in no air and also doesn't strip anything out of the coffee? Also what volume of coffee would be appropriate for a 6.25 bbl final yield of stout. Thanks for any help in advance.
    Cheers
    Jay Stoyanoff
    Brewmaster
    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY

You could use a corny keg. Use Co2 to inject it in the inlet on the tank. I do that with yeast I bring up. I have also done this with tea concentrates for spices.

Comment

I would put the coffee into a corny keg, do a CO2 purge on the keg and use CO2 to push the coffee into the tank. Everything is sealed, sanitary and O2 free. I have used this method many times for different flavors... one brewery I worked at would even pitch yeast this way.. straight into the wort flow into the tank. Worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley
        You could use a corny keg. Use Co2 to inject it in the inlet on the tank. I do that with yeast I bring up. I have also done this with tea concentrates for spices.
        Looks like psychotic minds think alike! Hahaha Well said Buckley!

Comment

Great idea

Thanks guys...I don't have corny kegs but I do have side bung quarter barrels that should work. Any ideas on the volume of coffee? Style of coffee? Brands to avoid?
          Cheers
          Jay Stoyanoff
          Brewmaster
          Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
          Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

My opinion, think local. Is there anyone by you that roasts?? The ability to cross market is awesome! That and they can help pair the right bean/roast combo for the flavor you want.

Comment

coffee

Buckley-
              great idea...we've got a roaster in town. Hopefully they'll be excited about being featured in a local beer.
              Cheers
              PS Any ideas about how much coffee to add?
              Jay Stoyanoff
              Brewmaster
              Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
              Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

I used about 4 lbs of course ground coffee in my 10 BBL batch. I would use a lighter roast, i used a blend of a light chocolate roast, and a breakfast blend in mine.
                check out this thread:
                Jeff Byrne

Comment

I used local coffee for our coffee stout in our 2 barrel brewery a while back. I then switched to Folgers one year without telling anyone. The customers said it was the best batch ever. Go figure.

Comment

coffee

Jephro
                    Thanks for the link...I'm going to go with 5lbs for my 7bbl as the stout is quite roasty to begin with. Thanks for the help.
                    Cheers
                    Jay Stoyanoff
                    Brewmaster
                    Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
                    Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Jay- I've always done my coffee stouts and porters one keg at a time, rather than adding coffee in bulk. If you want details on how i go about it give me a call and I'll spill the beans (so to speak...)
                      Hutch Kugeman
                      Head Brewer
                      Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
                      Hyde Park, NY

Comment

We add coffee to our Porter in the brite tank. We use fresh roasted, coarse ground coffee in a nylon mesh bag and rack the finished beer on top of it. We keg it after 3 to 4 days on the coffee and typically use about 1/2 lb. per bbl. Coffee beers, yum.

Cheers,
                        Thom

Comment

we make an espresso stout. which is very popular.

adding coarse ground coffee to the copper after the boil has finished, alows it to 'soak'. it works fantastically. and no harsh tannic flavour is achieved, as the coffee itself is never boiled
                          GeorgeJ
                          Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
                          Yokohama, Japan.

Comment

Working...
                          X