Where are the national liquor stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the national liquor stores?

I've traveled all over the US and have come to realize(maybe I've missed something), that there are no national chaines of liquor stores. What do you guys feel the reason for that is? I can't think of any law keeping such a thing from happening.

Some states it just would not be worth it, see Ohio. All state liquor stores. There are some large distributors like Southern Wine and Spirits. There are many individual state laws that would almost call for compartmentalizing your managment.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I'm guessing the main reason for this is liquor laws change from state to state making a national chain more difficult. I'm not sure if there is a law prohibitting this or not. I know here in Washington prices are set by the state so there is no discount for buying larger quanities.

Cheers!

Dave

Comment

The closest thing I know of is Total Wine. I believe they have stores in NC, SC, FL, NJ, VA, MD, and DE. Other than that, I'd bet it has to do with the differing laws like has been said before. Like in SC, you can't sell beer in liquor stores. In another state, you can't buy beer in grocery stores.

Comment

In Tennessee, a licensee can only hold one license and location at a time.
          Linus Hall
          Yazoo Brewing
          Nashville, TN
          www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Sams Wine and Spirits in Chicago and Bevmo in California and Arizona are the two largest retailers of liquor in the US. Bevmo has the largest number of stores at about 90. Sams has only 3 or 4 stores but does tremendous volume and is an internet powerhouse.

The reason for the lack of national or even regional chains of liquor stores is the hodge podge of laws any company would have to navigate in order to open stores. The key to successful chains is consistency and because the different laws would require the stores to operate differently they can't be consistent which increases operations cost across the system.

Now a national beer store chain is totally feasible and I honestly don't know why that doesn't exist. We have Vino 100, WineStyles and Best Cellars with almost 400 units combined operating all over the US selling wine very successfully so why not a national beer store chain?
            Owner
            Grind Modern Burger
            PostModern Brewers
            Boise, ID

Comment

I think the best explanation (as noted above) it is the 21st Amendment that gives States the authority to control the manufacture, importation, distribution and sale of alcohol. Consequently alcohol laws are not alike in any two states. Many states are control states where the state actually operates both the wholesale and retail trade of distilled spirits. The complexity of compliance eliminates many of the economies of scale that would give a national chain competitive advantages over existing retailers. The only clear advantage a national chain would have would be in the brand recognition/marketing arena - and IMHO I don't think its enough to make a national chain viable.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmygarison
                I like your post so much and attractive,I believe they have stores in SC, FL, NJ, VA, MD,NC. Other than that, I don not bet it has to do with the differing laws like has been said before. Like in SC, you can not sell beer in liquor stores may be .
                Who is this moron.

Comment

Working...
                X