Thread: Spruce tips

Spruce tips

Multiple Spruce questions:

A) Does anybody have a supplier of said item?

2) Has anybody have some tips on how much to use in roughly a 9-10 bbl batch?

4) Does anybody have any idea what kind of spice go into a gruit? I have searched and searched, to only come up empty.

spruce tips

There are many varieties of spruce but most important is to use the fresh soft growth tips of late spring and early summer. I´ve also used the mature sprigs but much prefer the early tips. As far as sources I´ve only seen extracts available. The tips are some of the easiest things to harvest in mass amounts. As far as amounts, that varies with what you´re brewing. Try and play with five gallons or less of sweet wort from another batch in a side kettle and lower the proportion that you like as you scale up (it takes less per volume as you get larger in scale)

Gruit recipes were a guarded secret that even the brewers were kept from. The most common ingredients that I´ve come across are Yarrow and Bog Myrtle. Any herb or spice is fair game for a gruit but some such as Yarrow contain Thujone or other psychotropic compounds and are technically illegal. Check out Buhner´s book.

Salud,
    Lasse