Any confirmed 2008 prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any confirmed 2008 prices?

As far as the actual prices for ingredients this year, I am having a hard time finding actual numbers so far. I dont know if the prices aren't out yet or what, but all I seem to find is discussions like "oh they'll be goin up 80-100% this year."

Just curious if anyone knows where I can find some actual numbers.

Thanks,

Jud

Try 500%

Call your favorite supplier. If you aren't contracted you aren't going to find much and what you do find isn't going to be what you've used in the past and it's going to be riduculously expensive compared to what you've paid in the past.

I don't think there is a signle hop under $10.00 a pound and most are over $20.00 a pound with some German stuff nearing $30.00 a pound.

If you find anything on the open market consider yourself lucky.

Tash

Comment

It is all dependent on growing season, volume of acreage, and # of contracts and customers. A freak accident at the storage facility acted as a catalyst for the current craze. We are still early in our assumptions on what the growing season will offer. Just make a commitment to a certain volume, and lock in to that if the supplier will work with you. We have been fortunate over the past ten years to have ample supply. this just makes us respect the brewers that were able to plan ahead and build up inventory. I hope we can make it through this.

Comment

+++

If this is in GR than ++++ other expenses like documentation, shipping, custom clearing, bond, inspections etc. + very uncertain time of delivery and risky business with supplier overseas.
        Cheers.

Comment

I have already bought Tettnang & Perle from Herr Locher. Last week we spoke about me importing to the States a few pallets of Tettnang (4.4% alpha) and some Tradition (close to 6%) in 4-6 weeks. He said the Perle (over 8%) was still available, but prices were extremely high. Mach2 is right - it only makes sense in larger quantities. I can't confirm pricing as of yet, because we are currently getting quotes on freight and figuring out customs costs. If anyone is interested, please PM me with ballpark quantities.

Prosit

Doug Martin
          Einhorn Beer Company, Inc.
          Last edited by einhorn; 01-27-2008, 04:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Jud,

I have just signed a hop contract for 08 harvest: Cascade around $9/lb, high alpha varieties up around $14/lb. Many of the varieties I was looking for are just not going to be available.

I just talked with one of our malt suppliers a few days ago. If everything goes ok this harvest year across the world, ie. "there are no disasters", pricing will be similar to today. However, if there are any significant decreases in acreage planted this spring, drought/weather issues, poor harvests etc, we are looking at reduced availability and increased price. The world's malt stock "carryout" (as of yet unmalted barley from last year's harvest) is very low and of lesser quality. Until a surplus/reserve is built up in the world markets, malt supply & pricing may be very volatile and especially sensitive to adverse events.

Comment

So they are still signing contracts now? We can barely buy any let alone talk about contracts. I know we are new, but geez. Do you mine me asking who you went with?
              COAST Brewing Company

Comment

Coast,

PM sent!

Comment

Beersmith:
                  I'm with Coast who is signing contracts this time of year?

Dick Young

Comment

Ok folks, I have received now 6 inquiries in a short period of time as to who is writing contracts now. We have just signed contracts with two brokers for 08 harvest, and are still awaiting contracts from 2 others. I am not going to publicly identify who is/is not yet writing contracts. I imagine that all of the brokers are going down their existing customer lists at this time and trying to figure out available supplies. Hopefully we will all have hops in 08!

Comment

Working...
                    X