Thread: Gypsum and Calcium Chloride

Gypsum and Calcium Chloride

I'm just looking for a good resource to buy these in bulk. Can someone please post some links of suppliers?

Thanks

I get them from brewers supply group www.brewerssupplygroup.com

We buy them from Crosby and Baker and it is delivered with our grain. Also it is USP grade.

Thanks for the info guys.
    One more question:
    Are you adding your water treatment to the mash water only, or do you also treat the sparge water in equal proportions? Should lactic acid be used to treat the sparge water instead or is this just brewers preference?
    (okay, maybe two questions)

thanks again.

Depends -- I generally treat them the same, but you want to look at how you want the final wort, mineral-profile wise. If you're going for a lighter mineral character, lactic it is! Of course, you can use lactic for the mash as well. Kinda depends on your water, your grain bill, and the desired flavor profile.

I prefer slightly more minerals (same ratio) in the sparge as they can discourage tannin extraction, especially as I prefer a higher than average sparge temp. I would not advocate any less in the sparge. Ditto for acid, if used.

One advantage to using salts over acid is that most salts add calcium to your wort which makes your yeasties happy.