View Poll Results: What do you charge for a growler fill?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growler price survey, round 2

Growler price survey, round 2

Last year we did a survey of price charged for a growler fill of breweries' normal beer. Beer only, not including the price of the bottle. The average was $8.31:

http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/s...hlight=growler

With the recent cost increases, I'm curious to see where we stand today.

---Guy
    Last edited by pennbrew2; 03-23-2008 at 09:59 PM.

$10 for the fill and $3 for the jug

We charge 10 for the growler and 8 for the fill. At first I thought this amount would discourage people from buying the growler. I have never had and issue and we go through alot of growlers... I even have people that own 8-10 growlers because they come in and forget there growler at home?? Maybe Im just cheap but If I had to pay 10$ for a growler I wouldnt leave it at home, Or I would have a back up in my truck at all times!

We just bumped our up to $10. We were at $9.

I am set up for $11 refills except on sundays which it's only $7 for a mainstay brew refill. Some of my more special stock goes for more.

$6 for flagship beers, $10 for specialty beer fills.

We just went up from $7 to $8 for the fill. We also give a free 8 oz draft while the customers wait for their growler to be sanitized, rinsed and refilled. Woot - We filled about 23,000 growlers last year!

We still just charge $5 for the bottle. We do buy growlers back at the same price - sort of works like a deposit. It certainly helps out those regulars who forget their growler often.

Make sure y'all vote in the poll above for your response to be counted!

Thanks!

---Guy

Hey Guy,
    Most of mine are priced at 10 bucks a fill, though some bigger beers are 12 or 13. I sell the jugs for 3, and since people often forget them and wind up with a pantry full, we also buy them back (to encourage them to stop in anyway, without their jug)... yes, even the ones that are filthy.

Hearing good things - hope the startup is going well!
    Cheers,
    Scott

We just raised our refill price from $9 to $10 a growler. It's the first bump in price we've done in five years, so I don't expect any problems from the customers. For my barrel aged barleywine I wasn't offering it in growlers because I thought it was unfair to ask a very high price for the growler (we sell it for $6.00/12 oz snifter, which translates to about $32 a growler). But demand was so high that I finally agreed to sell by the growler for $25 a fill ($35 in a new American growler, and $55 in a new German growler!). No one said two words about it, and I sold a TON of German growlers full of Barleywine at $55 per. Plenty of people were happy to pay it!
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Beer Guy
    Crossroads Brewing
    Athens, NY

Charge more, not less. Why would you need your growler to be a "deal"? If you don't sell it at a discount in bulk you'll sell it over the bar at regular price.!!!
    Larry Horwitz

We charge 10$ (plus tax) for the first fill, which includes the 1$ deposit for the growler. We refill a growler for 9$.

In the last 16 months, we have started rolling out more high gravity beers, 8% and up. We once only had a Barleywine and Imperial Stout in that range, and growlers and pints were sold for the regular price. Now we have an 8% series and the Barleywine and Imperial are up around 10.5%.

Following the changes, we have upped the price on the high-gravity brews and so the growler prices went up accordingly to $12 for a new one (which includes the deposit) and $11 for the refill.

Those in pursuit of the big beers have been more than understanding about the changes in price.

We haven't raised the price by the glass as such, instead we serve the 8% and up beers in a 12oz pour versus the normal 16oz pour and charge the same for both. That has the added advantage of keeping the prices simple, covers the extra cost of the beer and helps clue the customer into the fact that this might not be a session beer, so drink accordingly.

So it looks like the average price is $8.86, up 6.6% from last year.
    Last edited by pennbrew2; 03-23-2008 at 10:01 PM.

We are charging $2.00 deposit and $8 for the fill. (tax in added to this on the beer only)

We are a brand new craft brewery and just opened our tasting room last week. Not a complaint as of yet on the pricing.

Brewer
    High Horse
    Amherst, MA

$12 per fill for house beers...more for bigger beers (18 for russian).
    $3 for the jug
    Larry Horwitz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast