Which US 2-row malt is used commercially for successful IPAs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which US 2-row malt is used commercially for successful IPAs

Does anyone know which specific US 2-row malt some of the successful IPA breweries are using for their IPA's? Stone, sierra nevada, alesmith, russian river, etc?

I guess maltsters like Breiss/Rahr/Great Western are used but I would like to know specifics if anyone has access to this information. Also wondering if any of them use European 2-row malts as their base malts?

I use GW pale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A lot of the good Midwest IPAs (surly, summit, etc) are made with rahr two row and pale malt. It's what we use and we have been very happy with it.

The process matters just as much or probably more than the ingredients though so I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over using the same exact ingredients as some successful brewery.

Comment

Yes in hindsight there is not much point knowing the exact details, they are using one of the three main suppliers and making excellent IPA. The reason for asking is that I am trying to brew IPA over in Europe and am having trouble finding a base malt that is as clean and neutral as us 2-row. There are the german and english lager/pilsner and ale malts and they are respectively more grainy and bready than us 2-row. I will start a seperate thread on this.

Comment

You could try knocking down the total malt bill and adding dextrose back to your desired OG to lighten up the body. That's a common west coast IPA trick. That will lessen the grainy perception.

What yeast strain are you using over there?

Comment

Thanks. We have access to Wyeast liquid and Fermentis dry, I mainly use 1056 / US-05 and more recently 1272.

Comment

We use the Chico strain (1056) from BSI and love it for hoppy beers.
              We did a trial run with 1272 just to see what it did and we found we like the Chico much better for IPA's.

The Chico seems to produce all around cleaner beers with our setup. What's your impression on the two strains?

Comment

I can't really say as I am only 2 batches in with 1272, have always used 1056. I noticed 8wired use it for their hopwired which is a ridiculously tasty beer and I have heard it flocculates better than 1056 and so you do not need to filter to get great clarity which is a nice plus point. First indications are that its a bit fuller tasting and does not dry out the beer quite as much. Still haven't made up my mind .

Comment

Most American brewers use Great Western or Rahr for IPA's. The Alchemist here in VT (Heady Topper) uses Thomas Fawcett Pearl malt for the most part so that might be an option for you. I'd think a 50/50 mixture of Belgian or other continental pils and pale ale malt would put you in the ballpark.

Comment

Jerry, very interesting, a hugely successful american DIPA made with UK base malt instead of US 2-row. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I can think of several breweries off the top of my head that are using UK pale malt as the base for their American IPA's. It seems to work great. Crisp pale comes recommended
                      Manuel

Comment

mmussen - if you could let me know a few of them this would be highly appreciated. so far i have found only heady topper and green flash who brew their west coast ipa here in belgium with EU malts to supply the eu market.

Comment

Originally posted by HopSteady View Post
                          mmussen - if you could let me know a few of them this would be highly appreciated. so far i have found only heady topper and green flash who brew their west coast ipa here in belgium with EU malts to supply the eu market.

Not distributed in Europe, but I think Jeff over at La Cumbre often uses a british base malt in his Project Dank Series, which are fantastic DIPAs.

You can read more on their blog for various malt combos in DIPAs: http://blog.lacumbrebrewing.com/

There are others too.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
                            A lot of the good Midwest IPAs (surly, summit, etc) are made with rahr two row and pale malt. It's what we use and we have been very happy with it.
                            Surly switched to Canadian Malting Pale Ale Malt, last time I chatted with them. I was told that it was because they got a couple of inconsistent batches of Rahr. Pretty sure that's what they have in their silo. Haven't heard of any other people complaining, and I took a tour of Rahr myself. I prefer their base malt over Briess.

Lucid uses Cargill but that's about all I know.

Comment

Using LME for first time anything special I should know

I am making an Imperial Cinnamon Hefe and just didnt want to overload the Mash Tun with too much grain so I decided for the first time in my career
                              to use a liquid malt extract to bump up the OG. I didnt know if there is anything special I need to know about using it

Cheers
                              Mike Eme
                              Brewmaster

Comment

Working...
                              X