Holy Basil Ale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Basil Ale

I've found recipes for Holy Basil Wine, but no beer/ale recipes. Does anybody have any experience or thoughts about a Holy Basil Ale? Which Holy Basil variety did you use- the clove aroma, the grape aroma, or the juicy fruit gum aroma? Light or dark malt? Additions? I do have poundage of Organic Holy Basil (grape aroma) and thought I'd try to brew with some. On it's own, it's pretty tasty, calming, not bitter, and healthy. Any thoughts?

I believe Batman and Robin often drank that after work.

Comment

holy basil batman!

Never brewed with it but i like the idea...mind if i steal it, it would be perfect additon to the LBBC family of Asian beers? At any rate I would vote for putting it in secondary fermentation. If you add it to the kettle it would end up tasting cooked.

Mabuhay,
      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JoeV
        Never brewed with it but i like the idea...mind if i steal it, it would be perfect additon to the LBBC family of Asian beers? At any rate I would vote for putting it in secondary fermentation. If you add it to the kettle it would end up tasting cooked.

Mabuhay,
        Joe
        Brew it up! Let us know how it goes.

Holy Basil has historical uses as food and medicine: as an anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-malarial, lowering blood sugar and bad cholesterol, lowering stress and PTSD, inhibiting radiation damage, as a mosquito repellant, and as an anti-fertility herb. Probably has other properties too- it's one of the most sacred herbs in Ayurvedic medicine. Orientin and Vicenin are the magic flavonoids(anti-oxidants) in Holy basil. Check out that NLM database for more info. ( The NLM info is in the "alternative bittering plants" thread of Hops Q&A.)

Secondary fermentation might be right on as the EtOH should easily extract the eugenol (the numbing clove flavor). I wonder if it will inhibit the yeast.

What else would you put with a grape-like, clove flavor?

My palate awaits!

Comment

Working...
        X