View Full Version : NY Keg Stickers

02-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Hello Forumites
After an exhaustive few months of dealing with NYS and the TTB our brewpub is days away from being able to distribute locally and sell kegs right from our bar. Does anyone who distributes in NY know of the best, easiest way to get the necessary keg stickers that will allow us to sell kegs to our patrons? When I dealt with this in NH the state provided the stickers but this doesn't seem to be the case in NY. Thanks in advance for your help.

02-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Jay, Which stickers are you referring to? Do you mean the NY state keg registration stickers? If so that's just a copy of the form which the seller and the keg buyer fill out. It's then put in a clear adhesive envelope and stuck to the side of the keg (think of the envelopes that fedex or UPS put on their packages). There isn't any registration "sticker" per se that's distributed by the state. The forms can be purchased from the state with 3 color-coded copies (white for the brewery, yellow for the keg, and pink for the customer). But you can also just download the form on the NY state liquor authority website, fill it out, make 2 copies, and then use them in the same manner.

Other than the state registration form, the only other ID I put on the keg is a sticker with our brewery name and address, a sticker with the goverment warning on it, and then I use plastic keg collars with our name and the type of beer and size of the keg. I purchase generic keg collars online from Sabco.

If I wasn't clear in my description give me a call. I'm glad to hear you guys are making progress, I'll stop in next time I'm in Plattsburgh.


02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey Hutch
Thanks for the info. The triplicate form pad is something I'm familiar with so this shouldn't be anything new. Do you sell kegs out of the bar? If so, did you need to get a supplemental license to go along with your restaurant brewers license? I filled out and sent a check for some supplemental license and have been waiting for over a month and haven't heard anything. I'm beginning to wonder if I even needed to apply. People are begging me for beer! Thanks again and hope I see you soon in PB.

02-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure about the license question. We do sell keg beer out the door, both to retail accounts and private customers. But we actually have a Microbrewery license, not a restaurant brewery license. When we opened it was the only type of license available and we never saw a reason to change it.

The only thing I have to do is get a ttb COLA for the brand and then file a form along with that to get a brand label registration with the state. I do the COLA online and it takes 3 weeks or so on average. The brand label reg. has to be mailed to the state liquor authority and it can take a while. Sometimes a few weeks, sometimes several months. The good news is that unless you sell more than 1500 bbl a year of that individual beer, both the COLA and the brand label reg. are free.