Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering with Perlite

Okay,

I am running a 3 sqM Velo with horizontal plates. The following is a typicla loadout for me:

Precoat with .25kg of celulose
    Precoat with 1.2kg of 27m Perlite
    Dose with 3.5kg of 27m Perlite.

We run at about 10gpm and have nice clear beer but the question has to do with the bell pressures. The book says I should hit 5 bar (72psi) at the completion of the run (22bbls average). Lately I barely hit 10 psi if I am lucky.

Am I using too much precoat? Does the bell pressure make a big difference? Should I just be happy that my beer is clear and leave it alone?

Any insight would be great!

Mike
    Mike Pensinger
    General Manager/Brewmaster
    Parkway Brewing Company
    Salem, VA

Not sure what book you're referring to but 5 bar is way to high and should not be your goal. Your quantities look good for a 3 meter filter. 10 psi is low but if the beer is clear...

Are you precoating with beer or water? Are you preloading your bell with 1 bar pressure during precoat? With your filter you should be able to filter 22 bbl. in 45 minutes or less and end up no higher than 2.5 bar.

A quick search turned up:

The first being the search on Perlite, the other two are threads from the search.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Yeah, I found those searches too but were not related tom the issue of pressure that I am having. I guess I may be over thinking the issue and should just go with the clear beer viewpoint. I think I can reduce my dosing load since I end up with a half full dosing tank at the end of the run.

Precoat with sanitized water and no no pressure in the bell. That is a good idea as it will keep the degassing of the beer down in the beginning of the run.

Mike
      Last edited by beermkr; 02-26-2008, 09:15 PM.
      Mike Pensinger
      General Manager/Brewmaster
      Parkway Brewing Company
      Salem, VA

Comment

Working...
      X