Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California ale yeast

Hello all,
    I am looking for opinions on white labs California ale yeast After listening to the audio in the link above, Chris White is obviously quite pleased with this strain. Has anyone had commercial success with generational harvesting of this yeast with multiple varieties of ales? We are using it on our upcoming pale ale and IPA on our 1/2 bbl pilot system.
    Appreciated!
    matt g.

It was the house strain at two of the breweries i previously worked for. It was pretty versatile, as far as i remember it floc'd out pretty well too, we didn't ever filter in the first brewery and our beers cleared up nicely with a little extra conditioning time. The second place we did filter and most of them went over pretty easily, even when we had to push a 8-10 day beer in a crunch.
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by Jephro
      It was the house strain at two of the breweries i previously worked for. It was pretty versatile, as far as i remember it floc'd out pretty well too, we didn't ever filter in the first brewery and our beers cleared up nicely with a little extra conditioning time. The second place we did filter and most of them went over pretty easily, even when we had to push a 8-10 day beer in a crunch.
      I've used it for 16 years and swear by it. My only comment echos Jephro's; if you are not filtering you'll need a longer conditioning time. It will get bright. I usually start a new culture every 10+- "generations" but the version I'm pitching now is in the low 20's. It will do 8-10 day beer beautifully. It is very neutral. I have used it for an 11%ABV beer and have friends go as high as 15% with no trouble.
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
        X