Don't Hurt the Swine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Hurt the Swine

I realize this has been discussed in the past but, honestly, I wasn't paying attention. So...

What are the hazards, if any, when mixing spent yeast with spent grain destined for consumption by pigs? Would the 140-150 degree grain be enough to autolize the yeast? Is it necessary to autolize the yeast before feeding to pigs?

Thanks for any info.

Spent grain

lots of talk on that here http://probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3644

Comment

Thanks Brewinfo

Thanks brewinfo but my question wasn't about spent GRAIN going to pigs, but spent YEAST mixed with spent grain going to pigs. Anything on that would be helpful.

Comment

From what I've heard, and not from experience, the yeast needs to be not only de-vitalized or autolyzed, but it needs to be dried out as well. I remember reading somewhere that you should spread the yeast out on thin baking sheets and bake it to dry it out.

Maybe someone else could elaborate on this, but I think you at least need to look further into it before giving it to the piggies - even mixed with spent grain. I know the spent grain doesn't need to be processed at all, but I'm pretty sure it's a different story with yeast.
        Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
        Strangeways Brewing
        2277-A Dabney Road
        Richmond, VA 23230
        804-303-4336
        www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Piggy's

I remember seeing a post from a guy in the section Brewinfo mentioned where a guy said he was feeding his spend grain to pigs, why not just ask him if he's also feeding them the yeast?
          Cheers!
          Banjo Bandolas
          Probrewer.com
          v- 541-284-5500
          banjo@probrewer.com

Comment

We shovel our mash tun out into 55 gal. drums, when we have yeast to dump we will put about 10 gals. in the drums, then fill with spent grain. Rest goes down the drain followed by caustic and/or lots of rinse water(timing). Haven't had any complaints from our farmers, who feed mainly pigs.
            Paul Thomas
            Brewer
            Sockeye Brewing
            www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Working...
            X