Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

federal "security" neccesary for a brewpub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• federal "security" neccesary for a brewpub?

My licensing guy just informed me that there is some kind of security law now for a brewery (and I would assume a brewpub) as part of some "Bio-Terrorism" law requiring some kind of security for the brewery inside and outside of the building, open or closed. What the #$@& is this all about. I'm waitng to hear back from him but if this "law" requires me to hire a damn security officer than I'm going to have to hang up my plans for a brewpub (which I'm already about $20,000 into.)

I'll look at my TTB papers tomorrow, but I think there was a question on there about how I'm securing the brewery. I put that I'd install an alarm system (ADT or the like), as well as keep the doors locked when I'm not there. Seemed to work fine!

Comment

Not a big deal at all. You just need to register with the FDA, you can do it online:

Comment

There are no specific requirements that I have seen beyond registering with the FDA and pure common sense for locking your brewery space. With the skyrocketing costs on copper, stainless and pretty much anything you could imagine it only makes sense to adequately protect your investment. The regulations of maintaining the brewery locked from public access has always been in place as far as I remember, and again... common sense. Some of the "war on terror" requirements are further upstream at the food suppliers. Mainly the concern is with traceability of food products from source to supplier in the event of contamination and recall, (think US beef producers) and you can see why it is important. We probably face more of a "terror threat" from our own profit before responsibility corporate food producers than the politically generated threats our Govt. shovels out each day. Whoops...sorry for the thread jack. Back on track now.

Comment

Originally posted by pennbrew2
          Not a big deal at all. You just need to register with the FDA, you can do it online:

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopi...terrorism.html
          Registering is free and takes about 15 minutes and it doesn't hurt to register anyway. There are some exemptions, restaurants for example. A brewpub would be exempt if there was no bttling going on for resale elsewhere. I asked their helpline about that and growlers for immediate consumption don't require that you register....but it can't hurt.

Comment

Working...
          X