Beer and Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer and Nuts

I have a customer that would like me to brew them a beer with nut flavor in it. I am not going to use extracts for the flavor and would like to use the real thing. I can get my hands on honey, puree and jam all made with the nuts, as well as the actual nuts, fresh, dried and roasted.

I am thinking about using a little bit of everything, but was hoping someone would have some guidance for me, i have never brewed with nuts before.

thanks,

Scott
    Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
    Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
    Elmsford, NY
    www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Be careful with using any nut products as the oils go rancid very fast.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Hello Scott,

Fresh roast the nuts yourself. No salt. Crush. Add to CT for conditioning (in a nylon mesh bag), rack to BT and enjoy.

1 lb per bbl should give a good nut character.

I would avoid almonds.

Cheers,
      Ron

Comment

nuts

Ron,

Does the oil in the nuts kill the head on the beer?

thanks,

Scott
        Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
        Elmsford, NY

Comment

Yes it will and go rancid...
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

You might call Leslie Henderson at Lazy Magnolia in MS, they make a pecan beer using whole roasted pecans. I don't know where or how they add them.
            Linus Hall
            Yazoo Brewing
            Nashville, TN
            www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

It does effect the head retention, but not as much as I would have thought.

Yes, rancid flavors can be an issue. Check your nuts carefully before and after roasting, but for oil to go rancid oxygen is required. Avoid it as you normally would, drink the beer in a reasonable amount of time and you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

I amended my above post to also warn customers of actual nut use to avoid accidental allergic reactions, but I guess it didn't go through.

Cheers,
              Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbrewmonkey
                Check your nuts carefully before and after roasting, but for oil to go rancid oxygen is required.
                Cheers,
                Ron
                Ron said to check your nuts carefully. So, Ron, would you roast the nuts past the stage you would if you were eating them out of hand, to minimize the nut oils
                Originally posted by Greenbrewmonkey
                I amended my above post to also warn customers of actual nut use to avoid accidental allergic reactions, but I guess it didn't go through.
                Only in America.
                Last edited by beertje46; 03-18-2008, 07:04 AM.
                Cheers & I'm out!
                David R. Pierce
                POB 343
                New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Also curious, wanting to make a pecan brown ale. Have made on pilot system and had good success. The "head killer" was not there like I expected. It was an issue but less than I expected. I added some chopped pecans to the mash and the flavor came through nice. My question is how do you make it on the larger scale? Pecans are not cheap! It would be a cool beer to make for this displaced southern boy (Mississippi). I figure I will make a "southern" influenced beer at my new place but have yet figured out how to make "gravy boat bock".

-Beaux

Comment

NUTS, are you...............

Originally posted by beertje46
                    Ron said to check your nuts carefully. So, Ron, would you 1. roast the nuts past the stage you would if you were eating them out of hand, to minimize the nut oils and B. Add them to the kettle pre/post boil?

Only in America.

Yes, David, only in America....

Prost!

Comment

Roast nuts until they taste good, allow to cool, chop, put in a nylon mesh bag, add to conditioning tank. Taste periodically until desired flavor, rack to bottling, and go.

Some folks have also done this with chocolate, and claim most of the fats and oils are left behind, and so you have less effect upon head retention, and the like than you might otherwise expect. They call it dry chipping.

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen and tasted it for myself. To be sure.

Cheers,
                      Ron
                      Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Beer and Nuts

Thanks for all the replies, i will let you all know how it turns out. I am still undecided on which form of the nuts to use, but i am going to do a small trial batch first to check it all out.

Thanks,

Scott
                        Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
                        Elmsford, NY

Comment

Couldn't one make an extract? Roast, crush and allow to soak in NGS?

Comment

Working...
                          X