What about a hop competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about a hop competition?

With all of the news in the world about hops, how about a hops competition?
    Has there ever been a hops competition?
    Perhaps a "cup" of of some kind.
    Is the time ripe? And how would a "hop competition" be structured?

OR do we just ask Ralph and Ralph and all the other hop gods and just skip an opportunity?

Knock knock.

who's there?

Comment

Originally posted by wildcrafter
      Is the time ripe? And how would a "hop competition" be structured?

OR do we just ask Ralph and Ralph and all the other hop gods and just skip an opportunity?
      Hehehe..Time ripe..hehehe

How would our hops compete-- would there be an evening wear or swimsuit competition? Talent Show?
      State against state for production? ( Cause NM and CO could just be sending the trophy northwest)
      Or taste test-- cause I'm not so hot on hop tea tasting party. No barley - I'm not coming

And hops must be governed by a goddess. All female all the time.

Interesting.
      <A>

Comment

If you have them, you win?
        Scott Metzger
        Freetail Brewing Co.
        San Antonio, TX

Comment

What about a hop competition?

IIRC Travolta and Uma win that one.

Nevermind it was the twist.

Comment

Great Idea!

I LOVE IT! A hops competition!

I would be MORE than happy to take on the daunting task of judging.

All persons interested should just send me (minimum) 11# of each hop for each category they are interested in competing (not to exceed 200# per category, per person). I will use them in my beers, and eventually decide who wins!

Winner will receive a shower of compliments and well wishes from my entire staff. Perhaps we will have a plaque made in your honor. Who knows, I may decide to send you a coupon for a free ice cream sundae so you can REALLY celebrate with family and friends!

We will keep the deadline open for now. Anybody interested, send me a private email for details and shipping address!

You simply pay the shipping, and all other expenses (malt, water, yeast, energy) will be provided by me. We'll brew the beer, all you have to do is send the hops. There are no entry fees, and no gimmicks! THOUSANDS can enter, HUNDREDS will win.

Jay,

official self-elected judge of the 2008 "GREAT AMERICAN HOP OFF"
            Last edited by mr.jay; 03-22-2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by olllllo
              IIRC Travolta and Uma win that one.

Nevermind it was the twist.
              Jeep-boy ollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllo, is that you? What are you doing lurking over here?

Comment

I think in the UK, the NHA (National Hop Assoc) does have an annual hop competition
                <<goes to search the web for such a thing . . . & finds this . . .>>

"More than 100 guests from the brewing industry celebrated the centenary of hop breeding at the House of Commons last week.

The event also incorporated the annual Institute of Brewing & Distilling Hop Competition to identify the best samples from the 2005 English hop crop."
                from http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?storyCode=31367

I think they might judge the best hops by looks & 'rubbing', rather than brewing, which (if true) seems a bit daft.
                Mike

Comment

Perhaps this discussion isn't quite going as I hoped it might. Yet, I too want to be a judge of the flavor options of different hops and terroir'!

I read at Appellation Beer about the Czech group labeling the noble hops from their region and discussing the local noble hop flavors that come from only their approved areas.

Read here at http://www.zateckychmel.eu/

Sounds great! Local pride of local products!

Is that what a hop competition could be like? Who/where grew what variety of hops the "very best" on what given year?

I don't know who pays for such a hoppy event, but it might be real fun.

It's now only May with the fall hop harvest coming.

A hop competition and why?

Who cares who grew the very best hops on a given year?

Once you know what hops are the "best" on a given year and if you have some of the winning hops, I'd think you'd be proud to put that info on the label of your beer. Consumers would like to know that this beer was brewed with the very best of this variety hops this given dated year. Terroir' and timing like wines- with pride.

Comment

IIRC(?) Fuller's brew their annual Vintage Ale with the award-winning UK malt & hops.

The UK used to have a "Beauty of Hops Competition", but it wasn't really about hop growers, & ran as a beer competition, based around either single varietal or blends of UK hops.

I think that the competition has stopped running, now that the UK hop acreage has dwindled so much & the govt has removed all funding for hop research & promotion

I think some kind of competition that melds the 2 ideas together would be good - i.e. a hop growing competition that was also a beer competition using the best hops?

In UK, IME, very few micro-brewers know exactly where their hops come from, as the 5 & 20kg vacuum packs don't have the old-fashioned farm insignia blackened onto them like the big pockets & bales do on the farm.

When I was 'coppersidesman'* at a UK regional, I used to love seeing exactly where the hops came from, as I'd lived near the hopfields in Kent & knew some of the villages.

*(great job-title, eh? - main roles breaking up pound after pound of whole hops & making sure the kettle didn't send wort & foam over the town centre)

Comment

Working...
                    X