Plate And Frame Sanitization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plate And Frame Sanitization

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OPINIONS ON CHEMICAL VERSUS HEAT SANITIZATION FOR PLATE AND FRAME FILTERS??? IN PARTICULAR HAS ANYONE EVER USED OXINE (CHLORINE DIOXIDE) FOR THIS?? I'M INTERESTED IN TECHNIQUES AND QUANTITIES THAT OTHERS HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH.

THANKS,
    JONATHAN ZANGWILL
    FLYING FISH BREWING CO

Hey Jonathan,
    I use chlorine dioxide to sanitize my 40 x 40 plate and frame filter immediately before filtration. I've never had any problems. What would your concerns be?

Hutch Kugeman
    Great Adirondack Brewing
    Lake Placid, NY
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Jonathan, I also use chlorine dioxide to sanitize my plate and frame. After I sanitize my serving tank, I push the sanitizer with CO2 from the tank backwards through the filter to a tee at the fermenter. I use about 25ppm and have never had any problems. I have also hooked up the filter inline in the sanitizing loop and sanitized it that way but, it didn't seem to filter as well for what ever reason. I've never tried heat sanitizing so I can't compare the two.

Scott
      Scott Isham
      Harper's Brewpub

Comment

Johnathan,

I have used both methods. I prefer the heat sanitation method. The problem is if you have Noryl plates they are not rated for heat. They'll eventually start to warp on you, especially if your water temp. is near 180F. If you're fortunate to have SS plates then I would suggest 180F for 20 min. as measured through your outlet sample valves. As for Chlorine dioxide, I would recommend a slightly higher concentration of around 50-60 ppm. I would store the filter full with ClO2 for about a week in the slow season. In using this method I found that pushing the sanitizer out with CO2 prior to use worked very well. Best of luck

M.J.
        Mike Jordan
        Brewmaster
        Boxing Cat Brewery
        Shanghai, P.R. China
        michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Interesting.. I have only ever used DE filtration.. anyone have experience with peracetic acid santi on plate and frame? I may be doing some fill in at a place that has plate and frame.. I know the previous brewer used heat santi.. what should I look for in regards to the potential damage noted above?

Comment

If the plates become warped over time you may not get appropriate sealing, thus losing beer and possible contamination issues when sitting empty if backflushing regime is used or all sanitizer leaks out during storage. Potentially they could become "brittle" and crack or snap. If using heat sanitation just make sure your temps are around 180F and not spiking up near 190+F or worse yet...steam. I have limited use of peracetic acid, never tried using it for filter sanitizer. Perhaps others have??
            Mike Jordan
            Brewmaster
            Boxing Cat Brewery
            Shanghai, P.R. China
            michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Working...
            X