Need advice on Wyeast 1968

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on Wyeast 1968

I looking for any comments on how Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) handles in the brewery. Does it really need to be roused? What attenaution is normal? How do sucessive generations work out? Is there a lot of diacetyl produced? Areation? Temperatures? Anything you can tell me would be great.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott Isham
    Harper's Brewpub

Scott,

I have used White Labs 002 which I believe is the same strain. It has some issues that I know of.

1) It flocs like a ton of bricks. It is very difficult to harvest if you don't get it before it is 60F. It'll come out as a dry paste at 32. harvest and clear yeast before too cold. The beers filter very easily due to this. Also you can usually do casks without any fining from the ferms.

2) You may not get a many generations off the yeast (usually at least 5). The great thing is you can usually tell when the yeast is ready to change due to the flocculation of the strain. It will start to get loose. The flavor will start to get a little more estery. It is still fine to use, but you should probably reorder when this happens.

3) 1lb/bbl should be enough yeast to pitch. I never had to rouse it, but I inject as I transfer so maybe depending how you pitch may determine if you rouse or not.

4) Attenuation should be lower 70's, depending on your grain bill and mashing techniques of course. Great maltiness.

5) Never had a diacetyl problem with it. Fermentation temps, I think should be on the warm side from 70-72 for this strain. Get that yeast really churning.

Great yeast. I particularly like this strain with American Brown Ales and American IPAs. It really gives a nice body to the beer to support large amounts of hops.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan Zangwill
    Flying Fish Brewing Co
    Cherry Hill NJ

Comment

Wyeast 1968

Hi Scott-

We're pretty familiar with this strain. We inject it in line during knock out. It needs plenty of oxygen and is highly flocculent. It really drops out at below about 64 deg. We give it at least 24hrs diacytal rest after it reaches terminal gravity and generally get in the low 70s for apparent attenuation. This depends on the mash regime of course. We introduce a new strain before exceeding 12 generations. I think our harvesting technique tends to select for early flocculation, so we see the fermentation time decrease and notice diacytal when we've pushed it too far. We harvest after crashing to 32 deg.

This yeast gives our beers a nice clean estery character and malty body.

I've heard White Lab's 002 is the same strain, but was told by a brewer from Bend that she had to reformulate all her recipes after switching from 1968 to WLP-002. I have very little experience with the WLP-002 though.

Hope this helps.

-Clarke Pelz
      Moose's Tooth Brewing
      Clarke Pelz
      Cynosure Brewing

Comment

Working...
      X