Force carb a Sanky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force carb a Sanky

I left 2 kegs of unfiltered Bock in the fridge for aging. I estimated the carbonation to be at aroud 1.5

If I push 30PSI with pure CO2, how long should it take to carbonise to a proper level? ( 2.4 - 2.6)

Few hours, 1 day, a week...?

PS: I want to avoid rolling it, since it would put yeast back into suspension

b.

I think your force carbonating the kegs will be putting at least some of your yeast back into suspension anyway...

I don't have my crutch, aka dissolved co2 meter, handy, but I imagine that a good 30-40 minutes per keg should get you up there, but I'd give them some time to absorb the co2 and for the yeast to resettle before tapping.
    www.devilcraft.jp
    www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Originally posted by jason.koehler
      I think your force carbonating the kegs will be putting at least some of your yeast back into suspension anyway...
      Yup, it did! (damned)

Originally posted by jason.koehler
      I imagine that a good 30-40 minutes per keg should get you up there
      12hrs wasn't, enough (by just "pushing") So, now that my yeast is in suspension and that there's no way I going to serve it like that, I'll simply use the push+roll trick I do with cornies. And use patience.

Cheers from snowy Quebec!

Zb

Comment

Another factor is how filled the kegs are with beer. If they are all the way to the top there will be very little headspace thus a slower rate of absorption of the CO2 (less exposed surface area). Let the kegs settle out and then while you have the CO2 pressure on, blast out the settled yeast thru the stem. This will also give you a little headroom to aid on CO2 absorption. I usually go 25-30 psi overnight (12 Hrs or so).

Comment

What we've done...............

Hey Zucker Bee,

We run about 32 psi for 48 hours and have done it for years. You may have to tweek this a bit for final gravity, etc, but it tends to work well. If you have a huge head space, though, less is better. It depends to on what your latent CO2 volume is coming out of the Bright. This assumes it has set in a Bright for a few days before kegging. Beers coming right from Primary will have more latent CO2 than those that sit in Bright for a bit.

As for yeast being stirred up.................well...............it's going to in this method somewhat. However, nowhere near as much as rocking a keg. It depends on what you customers are used to, etc.

PS - Oh, that 32 for 48 was based on a 1/2 Bbl modified Hoffs to Sankey keg.

Regards,

Comment

Do you guys take the kegs off the CO2 after that or turn it down to the proper pressure to allow to "equalize"?

Comment

If you are not worried about a bit of potential scrubbing or rousing the yeast, i push gas in via the spear and vent on the gas side with a valve, just enough that i can feel the gas rumbling out of the spear. At 30 PSI it carbs up in about 15-20 minutes.
              Jeff Byrne

Comment

Working...
              X