Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this considered "keg conditioned" beer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this considered "keg conditioned" beer??

I know a brewpub with a unique way of serving there beer. They go from their fermenters after two weeks of primary and secondary fermentation and straight into a keg (no filtering or pasteurizing) where it is cold conditioned for a period of time and force carbonated just like some homebrewers do.

Would this be considered "keg conditioned" beer?

I wouldn't consider that keg conditioned beer. IMO keg conditioned beer is when the beer is carbonated naturally in the keg, at least partially, by the addition of sugar or krausening.

Comment

Originally posted by PMR
      I wouldn't consider that keg conditioned beer. IMO keg conditioned beer is when the beer is carbonated naturally in the keg, at least partially, by the addition of sugar or krausening.
      I second that

Comment

And a third, do we have a motion?

We produce all of our beers in a very similar manner, except that we naturally carbonate by closing of the fermenters at a specific point during fermentation to achieve the desired level of CO2. Then pull yeast and transfer to a conditioning tank and allow the beer to go brite.

I think the best descriptionn of the process which you described would be "unfiltered draught".

Comment

Originally posted by Beersmith
          And a third, do we have a motion?

We produce all of our beers in a very similar manner, except that we naturally carbonate by closing of the fermenters at a specific point during fermentation to achieve the desired level of CO2. Then pull yeast and transfer to a conditioning tank and allow the beer to go brite.
          I've read about that. What a great way to utlize all that natural CO2. Do a lot of breweries do that? I'm guessing you must have a pressure gauge on the fermenters and monitor how much pressure it's under and for how long. You probably need counter-pressure to go from the fermenter to the brite beer tank to keep the CO2 in suspension.

How can I practice this at home in my conical fermenter. It is pressurizable. I don't have a gauge to measure the pressure though, however it's possible that I could rig one up. I wonder at what point of fermentation would be a good time to seal it up and begin building up pressure. I suppose a lot of trial and error would help. I wonder if ales and lagers behave differently in this way.

Comment

"How can I practice this at home in my conical fermenter. It is pressurizable."

I would not do it unless you have a 15 psi relief valve on there.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Brew Chef,

BrewinLou is right here. You do not want to attempt this without a PRV (pressure relief valve), unless you want a fermentation bomb. I have seen British-made plastic "pressure barrels" that had a PRV for homebrewing. You might also be able to attach a plumbing threaded PRV (something in the 10-15 PSI range) above the krausen foam level of your fermenter if you have an NPT connection. A PRV that gets gooped up with fermentation crud might not work properly.

If you manage to put together a SAFE pressure vessel, there are a few other things to consider. Without closing the fermenter during fermentation, take daily gravity readings and map out the fermentation cycle of that recipe. It will take some experimentation to determine when to "bung" off the tank to achieve the desired level of carbonation.

Also, fermenting under pressure can increase diacetyl production. Pay special attention when brewing lagers and employing a diacetyl rest might be beneficial.

If you have any doubts about the safety of your system, don't try at home......Hope that helps!

Comment

thanks for the heads up. My conical is not designed to do this so I'll leave it to the pros. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X