Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flaked maize

Hi guys,

Anybody use flaked maize to lighten up the body in a lager ?

I'm assuming you can just chuck it in with the mash or do you have to pre-gelatinise it ?

thanks

Tariq
    Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Canada

I've used lots of different adjuncts to lighten body. Flaked means that it has been pressed through hot rollers, thus pregelatinizing the corn and making it mash-ready. I currently use and prefer rice. I gelatinize it myself, mostly due to cost savings. Flaked just means someone else is doing your cereal preparations. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I have used it and found it had too much of a corn flavor, and also preferred rice. The other brewer at that location preferred the corn. A blend of the two proved best. Then there is always dextrose...

Comment

Not Quite a Lager, but.........

We use Pre-gelletinized Maize in a Pre-Prohibition Lager recipe we ferment with an Ale yeast.............yeah, yeah, make sense of that. The flavors work, though.

Anyway, we cut the bags and pour them in the mash tun direct. Stir thoroughly to ensure there are no "corn balls"(?) of dry material trapped in various places. Generally, layering this over the top of the mash and stiring it in works better than pouring a huge pile in the middle of the tun.

The Flaked Maize will add a bit of a corn flavor (as one would expect) if used in higher amounts, but some can pick it up in even small amounts. It makes for a unique taste in our Blonde that folks who like crossover beers tend to relate to. It's not a corn chip taste or anything along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
          I have used it and found it had too much of a corn flavor, and also preferred rice. The other brewer at that location preferred the corn. A blend of the two proved best. Then there is always dextrose...
          Those of you using rice, where are you getting it? I've found brewers rice to be impossible to get on a small scale. Rice through traditional food sources is always "fortified" with vitamins and (somewhat more troubling) iron.

So far the best, cheapest, most flavor-neutral adjunct I've found is corn starch. From a local food distributor it was about $15 for a 50 lb. bag. Though I imagine it's gone up in price the past month or 2 along with all other grain products.
          Last edited by pennbrew2; 04-21-2008, 06:06 AM.

Comment

That was a few years back for me, but it was either Brewer's Supply or a bakery supply company. They were pre-gelatinized flakes...if I remember.
            Funny thing, our brewpub had just started serving breakfast a little before we started making the really light beer. When the invoice came in, we got a very concerned office person asking who ordered 250 lbs of corn flakes!

Comment

Briess sells 25# bags of pre-gelantinized corn flakes. We brewed a cream ale using 100#s of them. Tossed them in the mash and away we went. The beer lautered beautifully.

Comment

Pennbrew, you are spot on with the fortifications AND with the broken, brewer's rice. Definitely don't want added iron to your beer. The broken grains that used to be discounted for brewers is not even available now except for use in animal feeds--at least as far as my search got me. Most processors told me that unless I was buying containers or trucks of it, then it was just not available to me. Now I use whole Calrose rice and whirlpool it with 10:1 boiling water in the kettle for half an hour with a handfull of six-row. When the rice mush is pumped to my stiff mash, it both raises the temperature to saccarification and thins the mash. Stiff=proteolytic, thin=amyolytic. Works like a charm and our beer tastes great! IMHO, flakes are a waste of money and an abdication of duties when you could do this on your own and take ownership & responsibility of more of the grain processing/wort preparation. Cheers & good luck!
                Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

adjuncts

thanks a bunch guys I'll have a think!!!

T
                  Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
                  Vancouver, B.C.
                  Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X