Brewpub Water Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewpub Water Service

Started this project 10 years ago and now it looks like it's a go. 5,000 sq. ft. brewpub, 10 BBL system and 122 seats to start. Just before we were ready to really get going 10 years ago the city placed a moritorium on water per a DOE mandate. This has now been lifted and the city has to install some water supply infrastructure. To cover these costs the city now has a surcharge fee for new water service. The fee is based on the size of the water meter connection (i.e., 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", 2" or 3"). Here are my questions:

1. What is the minimum size water meter connection I should consider for this project.

2. Since this involves water service to the building, should I consider this cost mine or the landlord.

Thanks for your consideration.

I don't have an answer, but here are a few things to consider.The engineers that are putting in your system should know best. Also, call the water company to ask about flow rates. Think how much time you want to spend filling your HLT, and then figure which flow rate you can live with and afford. The water company may also have an extra monthly charge for a larger service.

It's issues like these that make me appreciate the skill of plumbers and other tradesmen.

Tom
    ECBC

Comment

I'm guessing you will want at least a 1" feed for a 10 bbl. system. That should be adequate to support your counterflow chiller as well as minimizing the amount of time it takes to fill your HLT or your kettle.
      Danny McGovern
      Brewer
      Monhegan Brewing Co.
      Monhegan Island, ME. USA

Comment

Your start-up is about the same size and configuration as mine. I would recommend a 1" meter or bigger.
        That being said, I am running on a 3/4" meter that jumps up to a 2" main into the building. I have no problem getting 30gal/minute into the brewery. The problem is when the kitchen, bar and bathrooms all start to compete! There is a noticable pressure drop when this occurs. For me it was worth it in terms of capital to go with the 3/4" meter. As you know the fee increases greatly as you increase the size of meter. I split the cost with my Landlord and performed the work myself (I'm a licensed contractor).

So while bigger is better in this case, you could get away with a minimum of 3/4". I should mention that we were not required to use a fire suppression system.

Your landlord should see this as a benefit to the building!

Hope this helps!
        Cheers,

Brian Ford
        Auburn Alehouse
        brewmaster@auburnalehouse.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just meet with the landlord this weekend and he is going to install a fire sprinkler system in the building and will have at least a 2 inch line coming in from which I will tap out my service line to the brewery, restaurant and restrooms. So it looks like 3/4", 1" or 1 1/2" will all be feasible. It's good to know that a 3/4" service gets a little overloaded when demand is highest. I think I will stick with a 1" service, should be enough to cover demand and is cheaper than the 1 1/2" service.

Thanks!!

Comment

cistern

What used to be done a lot here in the old days due to inconsistent water supply was adding a cistern. We have one at the brewery and are therefore independent of short citywide water outages (which are not uncommon here).

Comment

Here's a somewhat related question,

Would using an on-demand type water heater require a larger water service?

I assume that it would, since there is no HLT to hold large quantities of water at temp until needed, but the overall costs of keeping that water hot all the time seems like it would be greater than that of a larger water service as costs for natural gas and the like keep going up.

Comment

Working...
              X