Equipment Locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment Locations

Working on setting up a new 5,000 sq. ft. brewpub and hope some of you can shed light on where you locate your steam generator and glycol chiller? I would assume on the brewery floor as close as possible to the serviced kettle and fermenters but to save floor space do any of you place them on the brewery ceiling or roof of the structure. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Chiller local

I can't answer for a boiler, but a chiller can be placed on the roof above the brewery. If you have enough ceiling space it can also be placed inside that space. This provides easier access maybe. A good chiller should really only light maintainance quarterly, so I think roof mounting is the best. I know PRO Refrigeration has an outdoor mmodel.

Comment

4,300 sq-ft Brewery

Boiler Room:
      Our boiler is located inside a room that is positioned between the mash tun and our large hot liquor tank. Basically, this keeps the steam lines very short and we get the most out of the steam system. It also eliminated the need for pump(s) to return the condensate. We didn't even have to insulate the pipes.

Glycol Chiller:
      It really depends on the type of chiller you have. At our B1 Facility, we have a Pro refrigeration unit that sits behind the building adjacent to the wall common to the Brewery. Chillers of this type, being bother reservoir AND compressor, need to be outside or in an open air environment.
      The refrigeration cycle doesn't eliminate heat in a compartment or system, it removes heat and dumps it somewhere else. I get a real chuckle seeing chest freezers inside walk-in coolers..........

Our chiller at the B2 Facility has a 600 gallon reservoir and a separate compressor/condensor unit. The compressor is mounted on top of the walk-in but the reservoir itself is placed inside the walk-in. Why? Because it is the cold part of the cooling process and by keeping it in the walk-in, we get to save a bit of energy by surrounding it with cold air. The compressor and condensor, which dumps the heat to the room, is outside of the compartment.

Comment

heck no...don't but the boiler in your brewery!!! that is unless you want it to be 100F all of the time. i'd locate both remotely for sure.
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

I must be cold blooded...........

........and used to 100F.

However, our Brewery is never 100F. The boiler is in its own boiler room. That's generally code in any state if you're over so many BTUs.

Comment

Working...
          X