Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste wet yeast

Good day one and all,

I am not 100% sure if this is the right place for this but anyway.....

Sometime back I visited a brewery here in Africa and during my discussions with the operations manager I was surprised to hear that they had a major problem with spent Yeast! It would appear that at present they were producing approximately 15-20 wet tons of waste Yeast weekly, and they were dumping it at some cost into municiple systems. They informed me that at present the relevant muncipality was charging them a premium for this but had informed them that they had to make alternative arrangements in future as this could not carry on.

I was informed by the manager that their only recourse was to install costly drying equipment in order to dry the wet yeast from approximately 70% to 5% moisture which they could then sell on to farmers for feed. The reason for this, i was told, is that the wet yeast is problematic to handle and pack and the farmers cannot use the wet yeast. Besides the equipment cost was added the energy cost in the drying process and this all made the whole exercise costly and troublesome.

On some further investigation of my own it would appear that current yeast drying proccesses have a negative effect on the Yeast itself, in that the exposure for long periods of time to high temperatures tends to damage the Protein to a very significant level. I have heard that as much as 85% of the Protein is lost.

Why this was of any interest to me at all, was because I had been looking into effluent treatment in general for some time and I had come across some technology in my travels on this subject. One technology in particular struck me immediatly as the answer to this Breweries problem. I investigated further and am still putting it all together but I may have found a way to dry Yeast without any significant Protein loss at all!

I have spoken to local food producers and farmers about the possibility of supplying high quality spent Yeast at about 3-4% moisture content with very positive feedback.
    Now how does this impact on the Brewer?

The cost of this drying technology is more than most current prosesses, but not significantly so. But I know from years of dealing with SAB MILLER, that their attitude is that "If it aint Brewing - we're not interested" This attitude is so strong within SAB that some years back they disbandend their project depatment because "they weren't in the business of building plants, they brewed Beer" So why not make the waste Yeast problem dissapear?

If someone develops and builds the drying facility reasonable close to the Brewery - say within 100 KM at no cost to the Brewery at all. My proposal will be to approach the brewery and ask then to do an assesment of the current cost, time and return their waste yeast efforts incompass. Then would it be of interest to them if they could simply load their wet yeast directly into tankers and transport it off site to somebody else, off load it forget about it? The total cost would be the transport of the wet product to the drying facility.

This brings me to the crux of this thread. I would like to dertermine -

A) Is wet Yeast handling and disposal that much of a
    problem for Breweries? At this point I guess we need to
    put some sort of size to this so let's talk of Breweries
    with 15 wet tons per week.
    B) If so - would my above proposal be of interest to the
    Brewery?

Any feedback from this community would be most helpfull nfor me determine if it's worthwhile pursuing this avenue or not.

Thank you for your interest.

There are a few threads on Probrewer that deal specifically with spent yeast handling options; use the search functions. For most small brewers, spent yeast is not a major problem. For larger breweries, it is sold as feedstock, usually mixed with other dried solids. I'm curious how protein levels are affected by heat? Proteins can't simply disappear, right? At worst they would "unravel" into component amino acids, no? Isn't that what we're after anyway? Just curious to know.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for your input and interest. Regarding the Protein issue, I have to plead some ignorence here. I am a Mechanical Engineer with as much Chemistry knowledge as a door stopper. I have based my information on information I have gained from speaking to people in the industry, so I won't even try and discuss this with you. However thank you for the info because now I can add this into my growing knowledge base and carry your questions over to the people I talk to.

Regarding the mixing of the spent Yeast with other dried by-products - this I am aware of, but my information is that the yeast has got to be further treated first before it can be mixed i.e. it has to be "killed" as you rightly say, but it also has to be dried. I would like to determine if this further treatment is onerus enough on the Brewery for them to consider it more practical and economic to pay for it to be transported off-site and become some one else's problem.

Comment

At first read of your post, jugger, I could have sworn that this resembled one of those Nigerian scams...

I should come clean then and declare that my countrymen invented a product called Vegemite. This product is derived from the waste yeast output from breweries here in the great southland. Have a look at this product, analyse it and then deny that this is the perfect use for waste yeast.

Hey, I like it, even the livestock might eat it...

Cheers

WJ

Comment

A rather disjointed response, but here goes

Surplus yeast disposal is indeed a problem for the big boys. It has such a high COD (something in excess of 140k if I remember corectly, that even small amounts kill off sewage treatment plants as they quickly get overloaded.
          Generally there are two methods of disposal - as animal feed, and as human feed, for making Marmite and the southern hemispher equivalent Vegemite. To make either of these is an already patented process (though of course either / both may have run out). For cattle / pig feed, it has to be killed off, by heat treatment or formic / propionic acid addition. Simply drying it is also used, but at much greater expense in energy - so it is far cheaper to sell off as a slurry, rather than dried. spreading it on land is smelly and a waste of good nutrients. The driers I have seen are rotary drum units, and boy do they pong.

I have heard that pigs in particular are happy with yeast in beer slurries. Apparently it helps make them docile, but presumably this is in fairly small quantities. Whether they get aggressive if you give them too much.... Animal Farm here we come ?
          dick

Comment

Gistex XII Powder AGGL

As I understand, it is highly valuable in the flavor industry which is why drying it is well worth the investment. Yeast extract based flavorings are the hallmark of DSM savory ingredients. I would not be surprised if they will not share there source (breweries) and definitely not the drying processes.

Comment

Working...
            X