Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent yeast disposal - again

Hi Folks,

I'm very new here and I hope you will all excuse me if i'm dredging up much repeated info. I have searched and found plenty of information regarding this subject, but my question does not seem to have been answered here yet.

Basically it is regarding the disposal of spebt yeast by the bigger Breweries. Mixing of the spent Yeast with other dried by-products - this I am aware of, but my information is that the yeast has got to be further treated first before it can be mixed i.e. it has to be "killed" but it also has to be dried. Now I guess my question would be aimed at larger Breweries with a disposable yeast rate of say 10 tonnes or more per week. I use this figuer because the Brewry that raised this issue with me, has this rate.

I would like to determine if this further treatment is onerus enough on the Brewery for them to consider it more practical and economic to pay for it to be transported off-site and become some one else's problem. In other words if a company approached a Brewery and proposed that all the Brewery needed to do, was pump all their wet spent yeast directly into a tanker with zero further effort or cost, other than the cost to have it transported to a location within say 100Km of the Brewery, would this be an attractive proposition?

Thanks for any input.

That's what we do.......

We're most certainly NOT a large Brewery by any means, but we pump our spent yeast to large, plastic holding tanks that are pumped out regularly. That is really all the effort we extend into it.

However, this begs a question..............if the Brewery is that big that it generates that much spent yeast, it should be centerfuging their beer to separate the yeast, no? I would think that would make it a little hard to pump.
    Also, large Breweries have a market for their spent yeast and I would imagine are selling it to companies that use yeast for various food and vitamin products. Brewer's yeast is found in a surprising number of foodstuffs here in the United States.

To answer your initial question, though, holding tanks are used on a smaller level. The company that pumps ours also treats "honey buckets", etc., and have all the effluent treatment facilities and expertise to do this. Is it someone else's problem at that point? You bet! And I like it that way.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
    X