White vs red wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White vs red wheat

What is the difference between red and white wheat malt in terms of flavor impact, and performance in the brewhouse especially lautering?
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

Red vs. White wheat

Sorry for the delay in reply. This forum has been recently set up and the questions were not being forwarded as they should have been. I am told that the problem has been rectified.

There is very little difference between red and white wheat in terms of performance in the brewhouse. If you are concerned about runoff issues the primary thing to look at will be Beta Glucan levels. If the BG levels are similar for the particular batches or red and white wheat malt you are looking at the runoff differences should be insignificant.

As far as flavor goes some suggest that red wheat contributes a more round, fuller flavor to beer than white wheat malt. At least that's what the customers that preferentially purchase red wheat tell us. Flavor is however subjective as we all know. We would recommend a brewing trial and a side by side blind tasting to determine which product is most suitable for you and your customers.

Comment

I use a small amount (9%) of Red Wheat along with my white wheat in my American Wheat recipe. I used to use about 25% Red wheat in the recipe. The reduction I felt led to a smoother less "wheat dryness" flavor for lack of better terms. The beer is made at a low mash temp 150F and is approx. 4.5% alc/vol. I didn't notice any change in runoff or extraction when the red wheat was substituted with white wheat. Anyways that's my $.02. Steve

Comment

Working...
      X