Belgian Candy Sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgian Candy Sugar

Occasionally we make candy sugar and I am wondering about inversion. At what point does inversion take place?
    Danny McGovern
    Brewer
    Monhegan Brewing Co.
    Monhegan Island, ME. USA

According to The Journal of Biological Chemistry, a report from 1921 states that the conversion happens after 10 minutes of boiling. The longer you boil it the more complete the inversion becomes. Now the University of Auburn has this to say about it:
    Sucrose hydrolysis occurred at all pH levels, being fastest at pH 5. The presence of glucose or fructose had no effect on sucrose hydrolysis at pH 5 and 25ºC, with the rate constant being 1.3E-4 d -1. At higher pH levels, both glucose and fructose enhanced the hydrolysis of sucrose. At pH 6.5, glucose increased the hydrolysis rate 10-fold in comparison to that without reducing sugars.

I tend to boil it for 20 minutes to reduce the water level and give it some color. I also use Citric acid to make the inversion, because Citric is a yeast nutrient. Use 1gm citric acid per 1k of sugar.

Hope this helps
    John
    Last edited by nwcw2001; 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Yes that helps. We have used both citric and phosporic and found that the sugar changed color quicker with the phosporic. Probably it had more to do with PH than type of acid.
      Thanks
      Danny McGovern
      Brewer
      Monhegan Brewing Co.
      Monhegan Island, ME. USA

Comment

Working...
      X