Corriander Ale??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corriander Ale??

My buddy brewed a wheat beer that the gravity should of been about 1.046 and only came out to about 1.039, this brew was a belgian wit with corriander and orange peel. The brew tastes a bit watered down, I suggested dropping some corriander in the fermenter to create a corriander ale, giving this brew a bit more flavor. What do you guys think? How much per barrel?

or dry hop it -- use half the dose. C hops work wondrously with belgian spicy/fruity flavor.

light belgian wit is surprisingly refreshing for the hot summer days.

Comment

I second the dry hopping idea. I once overspiced a Wit with corriander and the resulting beer tasted like hot dog water. Corrinader is great to a point, but it's easy to over do it.
      Scott Isham
      Harper's Brewpub

Comment

The beer has already been crash cooled. Could I still dry hop this? With What?

Comment

Coriander is one of the principle spices in sausage, chances are there is already enough if it is a wit recipe, you may be one step away from weenie water. Dry hop with the most citrus hop you have (Crystal is nice in light beer) and try adding a bit of food grade acid to bring out a mild sourness, dose a small sample first.

Comment

Cool is cool

Dry hopping at cooler temperatures should be just fine. We have done both and the results have been very good. We are moving to do all of the dry hopping at cooler temps.

Someone here did the research and discovered there were breweries out there getting good results with dry hopping at maturation temperatures. Some were apparently getting better results at the lower temps.

From a QC perspective, the less time a beer spends warm the better. Dry hopping (especially if you pitch whole leaf hops into a tank) can potentially introduce some unwanted hitch-hikers, so it's best not to make them feel at home.

Comment

Dry hopping hop suggestions and dosage in 5 BBL

Comment

what were the other hops used in the recipe and there times? how much spices?

but with out seeing the recipe i would suggest something earthy. i recently made a beer with glacier and it is a wonderful smelling hop. you could also use willamette, fuggle, ekg, etc. as for the amount, that would depend on the hop, and i have never dry hopped a wit.
                -scotto

Comment

14 oz Tettnanger 60 min
                  14 oz Saaz 60 min

Do you think I can use Saaz again?

Comment

I will go at the low side... maybe 2 lb of hop most.
                    you have a light beer, don't over do it to throw off the balance.

I usually like to use American hop for wit, but given your all noble recipe, stick to them! Saazer and Tettnanger both are delicate and wonderful to dry hop with, besides, you have them!

American hops will over power them by a few miles!

oh, I tried EKG before... doesn't really go well with the spiciness in Belgian wit.
                    Last edited by jarviw; 06-12-2008, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X