Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone's caustic have a brown tint to it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone's caustic have a brown tint to it?

found some cip caustic at the brewery that supposedly the last brewer ordered for general cip.

not sure wether to use it or not....(paranoid thats all, i'm sure its fine)

i just thought that it was odd that it has a brown tint to it.
    made by spartan chemical in ohio, rep couldn't really tell me if he knew anyone using it for breweries, but it mentions cleaning smokehouses, grilles, and food processing equipement on it.

any thoughts?

Originally posted by brewingnewbie
    found some cip caustic at the brewery that supposedly the last brewer ordered for general cip.

not sure wether to use it or not....(paranoid thats all, i'm sure its fine)

i just thought that it was odd that it has a brown tint to it.
    made by spartan chemical in ohio, rep couldn't really tell me if he knew anyone using it for breweries, but it mentions cleaning smokehouses, grilles, and food processing equipement on it.

any thoughts?
    Without seeing it in person, I couldn't say... but every liquid caustic I have used, other than chlorinated alkali cip, had what I would call a 'brown tint' to the liquid...

Comment

Sodium hydroxide is what it is. If you could find out if the manufacturer adds a chelating agent (wetting agent) to it it might save you some grief. If it does not have a wetting agent the caustic will not sheet on ss surfaces and will dry in stripes leaving 1) an unclean surface and 2) residue from caustic. I would use it in an environment where you can see its performance. If it does not perform to your standards, try adding a small amount of soap to it. If you do not feel confident to use it; dilute it and pour it down the drain incrementally, it will improve your biological and chemical oxygen demand.

Comment

I use Way-Vos from Birko. It is a liquid caustic, and it is brown.
        Paul Thomas
        Brewer
        Sockeye Brewing
        www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

it has a wetting agent in it..

i just have never seen caustic with a brownish tint to it and wasn't sure if it was contaminated or not.

thanks for the replys though

Comment

Working...
          X