Puree to concentrate conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puree to concentrate conversion

Just curious if anyone has experience converting a fruit beer that used puree to one that used concentrate instead? I'm in the situation of having to scale up a pilot beer in which I used an apricot puree at the end of fermentation to a 10 bbl batch which will have to utilize apricot concentrate. Any help guestimating a conversion factor from puree to concentrate would be greatly appreciated!

Tyson Arp
    Nebraska Brewing Co

I wish I could help you but I have no idea. So I'm going to ask you a question about puree. What volume do you use per bbl and do you ferment with it or flavor finished beer?

I have seen recipes that are all over the place for using [con] here, we make a 10 bbl batch of 68 brix [raspberry] with 15 gallons. It's rather sweet at that level however but not Kool Aid. That is also doing 2 doses during fermentation and 1 in the bright tank. 1/3 + 1/3 in fermentor 1/3 brite. Hope that helps.

Comment

ask the concentrate manufacturer

The manufacturer should know how much water is removed during the concentration process. Just like frozen orange juice concentrate...you add three cans of water to reconstitute because thats about how much water was taken out.

Unless you are talking about using a flavor "concentrate" or flavor essence rather than an actual fruit product. Then you would need to determine the use with a serial dillution taste test and see what works best.

Comment

Originally posted by jjs
        I wish I could help you but I have no idea. So I'm going to ask you a question about puree. What volume do you use per bbl and do you ferment with it or flavor finished beer?
        I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but the in the 12 gallon pilot batch I brewed up I used just three lbs of apricot puree. I guess that equates to 7.75 lbs per bbl. It was added to the fermenter just as the beer reached it's terminal gravity and allowed to ferment out the sugars in the puree. I'm not a big fan of sweet fruit beers, so I couldn't imagine adding it straight to the finished beer! The outcome of this beer (which was a saison) was a huge apricot aroma and a flavor of dried apricots.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeV
          The manufacturer should know how much water is removed during the concentration process. Just like frozen orange juice concentrate...you add three cans of water to reconstitute because thats about how much water was taken out.
          The supplier I talked with wouldn't offer much advice on the subject, other than the fact that it is 68 brix. I measured the gravity of the puree by diluting some in water and found it to be around 12 Plato. I'm not sure how accurate this method might have been, but it seemed like the thing to do at the time. Based on that it seems that the concentrate is about 5.6 times stronger than the puree.

Since first posting this, I got my hands on a sample of this concentrate and have decided to hold out for puree when it comes back on the market. While the concentrate certainly tastes nice and apricoty, it doesn't seem to have much in the way of aroma and seems to lack some of the zip (for lack of a better term) that I found in the puree.
          Last edited by tysonarp; 06-29-2008, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X