Low cal, Atkins diet beer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low cal, Atkins diet beer.

OK, I hate to evern ask this question but I'm getting pressure from my patrons. Many people are asking for a Low cal beer. We already make a light colored ale that has a 12 P og. This isn't light to be sure but I thaught is was light enough. So my question is, how do you make a light beer in a single step system? Lots of rice and/or corn flakes? Now that we are on the subject, I had a clear malt beverage in Madison but was unable to find the brewer. What's a good starting point? I think it could be a good seller in summer. What I would like to do is gain a sale from my patrons that buy an X light beer or an X clear malt beverage.

PS. I really don't want to do this, it's not the type of product I enjoy but it's not all about me. Thanks

Put pre gelatinized rice or corn in at 20- 30 %. Mash at a low temp to get the highest attinuation possible. White labs has some good larger strains that will get you where you need to be on finished attinuation. As far as low carb, I belive that these are basically dry beers, so attinuation is the key. The upside of brewing this beer is that you will sell a boat load of it. I think a lot of brewers have issues with brewing a light beer as they belive it belittles their product line. I think this is a bunch of crap, as, usually, instead of brewing one light beer and 10 true to style beers, they end up toning down several of their beers to gain cross over customers. So my advise is beer a good light beer for those that want it, and brew your beers for the rest.

Comment

Malt base

Malt base for maltopop can be made by carbon filtering
      your beer base. Brew a beer (highish grav, low or no hops
      seems to be the norm). filter it. Add activated carbon.
      Agitate for +/- 24 hours. Filter out carbon. Add flavor.

Should yield almost clear product. I hate it, but you know
      you can make a buck from it.

Also, Alphaglucosadase (AG or debranching enzyme) added
      to your light lager will break 1:4 and 1:6 bonds in your
      residual extract and make your beer lighter/dryer/low carb.

See my post on carbs for the skinny.

We are currently brewing a low carb beer and calling it:
      "GUTLESS"....a not so subtle insult/descriptor. I
      can't make it fast enough.
      Larry Horwitz

Comment

To produce a low carb beer you need to decrease the amount of dextrins in the finished product/lower attuation.

Brew a very light beer increase the fermentables by adding dextrose (100'% fermentable) to increase your starting gravity you will finish off with less carbs in your finished product.

Comment

Working...
        X