Blueberry Extract...Too Weak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberry Extract...Too Weak?

had a little american left in the tank after racking it out and wanted to fool around with some fruit extract.
    bought a blueberry extract from a well known supplier.
    bottle said 2 oz per 5 gal of beer.

tried 3 oz but didn't taste any fruit. put the rest of the bottle in and still just a slight hint. went out and bought 3 more 4oz bottles. ended up adding all 16 oz of extract to the 5 gal keg and only got a slight taste of blueberry!

anyone ever experience the same thing with such extracts? (being way too weak / dosage way off)

any product out there that you'd recommend for adding a fruit flavor to a lighter beer (per keg not a whole batch)?

(not really into the whole fruit beer thing for my brewpub just thought it'd be nice to bring some fruity beer to my female cousin's college graduation party...i know it'll be a hit there!)

We tried to use blue extract in a cask a year or two ago. It was very mild compared to other extracts. We blended another berry in with it to bring the berry out more.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I've made some blueberry lambic and used like two quarts for a 1/2 bbl. This was enough for a strong fruit flavor but not real in your face blueberry. It was more like merlot. Excellent responce from guests though. There are some blueberry extracts and flavorings that are nice. Try Lorann Gourmet.

Comment

I use 12oz in 15.5 gal. Base beer is a light american wheat, 1048 strating gravity. In my opinion, this gives the beer a solid blueberry aroma, with a hint in the flavor. Still tastes like beer. It is my 2nd biggest seller in a brewpub with 10-12 beers on at all times.
        Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
        Syracuse, NY

Comment

peach mango extract

We purchased some peach mango extract from www.creativeflavorconcepts.com was about $350 for 5 gallons including shipping. in a 15 bbl batch we put about 200ml (about 6.5 oz) and get a great peach/mango character.

Needless to say, at 5 gallon minimum for the extract, we have a lot of PANGO juice... Pango is the name of our Peach/Mango wheat beer.

Shawn
          Last edited by northstarbrew; 09-25-2008, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Wow. That is really interesting. So 15 gallons is the minimum amount per flavor?

Comment

Somwhat reviving an old thread here. I have been experimenting with a blueberry ale recipe and have had some really good results using natures flavors blueberry extract. It is certified organic and kosher. Be warned: a little of this goes a very long way. Tom says he has to fumigate the brewery after I open my first run bottles

DS
              David Scarborough
              Brewer at large
              East coast USA

Comment

Working...
              X