different yeasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different yeasts

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on useing different yeast strains in an open fermentation system. I use WLP001 but would like to use WLP036 Alt for a few brews. My fermenters are open top Dairy style.

Thanks for the help
    Tim

open subject

I guess I'd ask if you are repitching your main yeast and if so how many generations do you go typically? Multiple strains open fermenting can work successfully if you are propagating closed or pitching commercially prepared yeast. You may or may not get some cross strain "contamination" or house character that might come through in your specialty batch(s) or vice versa. It has worked fine for me on many occasions even though it is a sketchy prospect. I wouldn't want to repitch from any of the batches though. The key is pitching strong properly propagated cultures with proper aeration to ensure quick co2 rise in fermenters, temp on the rise etc. and racking to closed vessels without delay as soon as appropriate. Don't be scared but do be cautious.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I do repitch my house strain which is the california 001. I typicaly only go 5 generations and order a pitchable amount from white labs. When you say you wouldn't repitch from any of the batches do you mean the specialty beer or any batch fermenting in the same area?

Comment

pitch-ture

It is really just a personal comfort level kind of thing. I don't re-pitch ANY of the yeast from a shared room multi-strain open ferment session (srmsofs). I harvest enough to get me through the srmsofs prior and do a ferment room extra scrub down after the srmsofs. Generally I do a srmsofs at the end of my comfortable generation # cycle and have a freshly propagated house strain ready for after the extra scrub down, but not always as there is other timing concerns involved that sometimes take priority.

Comment

Hey thanks, thats great advice. I'm going to go ahead and try my Alt.

Comment

Working...
          X