German Hallertau crop 2008 "excellent"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Hallertau crop 2008 "excellent"

Wolnzach (ddp-bay) Die Hallertauer Hopfenbauern erwarten in diesem Jahr eine gute Ernte Der Ertrag in dem deutschlandweit größten Anbaugebiet wird auf rund 32 000 Tonnen geschätzt und liegt damit weit über den 27 200 Tonnen des vergangenen Jahres, wie der Verband Deutscher Hopfenpflanzer am Mittwoch in Wolnzach mitteilte. «Die Bestände sind sehr gesund und lassen nach Menge und Qualität eine ausgezeichnete Ernte erwarten, hieß es im Anschluss an die offizielle Schätzung.

Short translation: The Hallertauer Farmers are reporting an estimated 32,000 tons compared to 27,200 tons from 2007. "The plants are very healthy and we are expecting an excellent crop, both in quantity and quality"

US hops production estimates for 2008

As of 12 AUG, the USDA had released the estimates for 2008 crops, which are expected to be up a whopping 27% for 2008.

"Hop production in Oregon is estimated at 10.4 million pounds for 2008, up 9 percent from last year. Washington is estimating a 27 percent production increase and Idaho is estimating a 57 percent increase. Nationally, production is expected to increase 27 percent over last year. Yields are expected to be up in Idaho, but down slightly in Oregon and Washington. Growers in Oregon, Washington,and Idaho expect to harvest 8,352 more acres in 2008."

Once again Wildcrafter & AlexisScarlett, I don't know what happened to NM or CO. I know you both are working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn
      As of 12 AUG, the USDA had released the estimates for 2008 crops, which are expected to be up a whopping 27% for 2008.

"Hop production in Oregon is estimated at 10.4 million pounds for 2008, up 9 percent from last year. Washington is estimating a 27 percent production increase and Idaho is estimating a 57 percent increase. Nationally, production is expected to increase 27 percent over last year. Yields are expected to be up in Idaho, but down slightly in Oregon and Washington. Growers in Oregon, Washington,and Idaho expect to harvest 8,352 more acres in 2008."

Once again Wildcrafter & AlexisScarlett, I don't know what happened to NM or CO. I know you both are working on it.
      I'm almost all in the barn now. 3-4 more days of harvest. Might beat the hurricane potential wet period that might be coming. I did far better than last year. All Euro hops except Cascade were nothing but grasshopper fodder. We very luckily missed the hail that damaged the San Luis Valley barley. I hope the luck holds for the NW hop growers. I thought they still have 3 weeks to harvest.

Hand harvesting for research purposes make me fear millions of pounds of harvest- without a machine or two. Dang fickle non-drying weather! Here comes the wet!

Comment

Czech reports

Well folks, my small mission has come to an end. The third largest hops producer in the world, the Czech Republic, has put out their crop report for 2008

"The yields in Saaz region will correspond to long term average, nevertheless the content of alpha bitter substances will be higher here than in other two regions (Auscha & Trschitz)"

Looks like a stellar year for quantity around the globe, final results as to the quality of US hops is still not available (in my searches).

Comment

Originally posted by wildcrafter
          Hand harvesting for research purposes make me fear millions of pounds of harvest- without a machine or two. Dang fickle non-drying weather! Here comes the wet!
          Hey our storms stopped briefly and humidity has fallen (as well as temps) -- just send all those hops up here, oh yeah and we will dry them. Some might even come home.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexisScarlett
            Hey our storms stopped briefly and humidity has fallen (as well as temps) -- just send all those hops up here, oh yeah and we will dry them. Some might even come home.
            I'm done picking, drying, and now it's time for the bagging, weighing, testing, and then it's off to the brewer(s) that cares about native, pure-blooded, North American Hops(the winners with all the flavor).

Handpicking this much hops is a lesson for sure. I just read about the guy that has built the 100 bines/hour picker. I need to know more.

Great hops this year, lots of work........ but organic is easy and NANA hops are better than Euros.....if you actually want cones.

39F last night with 88F today portends an early winter.... I need Indian summer... for a chance to enjoy what I've missed.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcrafter
              I'm done picking, drying, and now it's time for the bagging, weighing, testing, and then it's off to the brewer(s) that cares about native, pure-blooded, North American Hops(the winners with all the flavor).
              Way to go. Cheers to your successful harvest.
              On the drying side of things. With no moisture meter what is one looking, feeling for in a appropriately dried hop?
              Just picked 40 wet #'s of hops.
              weeeeeeeeee

Comment

Way to go Wildcrafter!
                I'm still picking on my small harvest. I've been drying them for a few hours in my food dehyrators and then I've been making plugs outta 'em, then into the vacuum bags and deep freeze!This is a lot of work but what a neat experience to be able to produce a commercial beer with a crop I grew, harvested, and processed myself!
                weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, indeed!
                Glacier Brewing Company
                406-883-2595
                info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
                X