Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with Bohemian Breweries Monobloc brewhouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with Bohemian Breweries Monobloc brewhouse?

We are considering an offer for a 1996 Bohemian Monobloc brewhouse that appears to be in good shape. However, we don't have experience brewing on the Bohemian system (this one is 10 BBL) and would appreciate any thoughts, stories, etc. if you have used one of these systems. The system is decommissioned so we can't brew on it before we buy.

Thanks.

Matt L.
    Green Lake Brewing Company
    Seattle, WA

We purchased a 96 15bbl, that was "mothballed as well. Ours was completely gutted and in a storage unit, but we were patient and experienced enough to piece it back to working condition. Check the boiler coils for rust through and pressure test. Check all inlet and out let ports for corrosion as well as the steam supply lines. Probrewer can supply you with all additional support help on the valve seals and electrical. Please let us know if you have any questions good luck and congrats on the future purchase.

Lance
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nohandslance; 08-28-2008, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Hiya' Matt,
      I have a 10bbl Monoblock that I got from a defunct place in California about six years ago. I'd check the valve seats (too long with out liquid, they can dry out and crack), check the hot liquor tank door seal, mash tun door seal. Open the Eurodrive on top of the mash tun BEFORE you start it to confirm it has lube and no stray pieces of metal to demolish the gears. Open the boiler (if it comes with one) and inspect the tubes. I know Bohemian Breweries liked to use Ajax low pressure boilers. I've had good experiences with mine, easy maintain and use. Talk to your state boiler inspector to see if you need any additional modifications on it. Check the inside of the vessels for pitting and rusting. If the brewhouse is put together AT ALL (especially the control panel AND "220 volt" supply under the control panel), TAKE PICTURES!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough.
      Oh yea, before you install the brew kettle and HLT/Mash Tun, make sure the outlet connections on the underside of each is good! Kinda' hard to repair once it's installed. Like Lance said, if ya' run into problems, throw up a post and we'll try to help.

Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing

p.s. I really like this system. I've brewed on several different ones and sizes (17bbl Specific Mechanical, 8bbl Pub system, 50bbl Newlands, ALL GOOD BY THE WAY), but the Bohemian Monobloc is designed for smaller operations with only one or two brewhouse monkeys. If the price is good, it's hard to go too wrong!
      Last edited by GlacierBrewing; 08-28-2008, 06:59 PM.
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Yep to all.
        That is great rig for quality beer and efficient process. I ran the prototype 10 bbl for 6 years. Some of the later models had worse problems w/dead spots and b/h pump cavitation, condensate return, and poor engineering on glycol system, but none of these issues cannot be overcome. Make sure your steam is operating at full strength and do not attempt to use all of the steam features in the system simultaneously.

Comment

Thanks for the insight

Great advice; I've taken notes and will add all these to the checklist should I get the system. I can only imagine trying to service the HLT/MashTun outlet connections once installed. Ouch. Also, I will owe each of you a beer or many next time you're in Seattle.

Here's the second tier question, anyone willing to throw out a number for what you think a 1996 10BBL is worth? I want the system but don't want to bid too high for it; watching every dollar spent, etc.

Thanks!

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matt L

Here's the second tier question, anyone willing to throw out a number for what you think a 1996 10BBL is worth? I want the system but don't want to bid too high for it; watching every dollar spent, etc.

Thanks!

Matt
            What does the whole system include, or is it just the monoblock? Might impact pricing/value.
            Cheers & I'm out!
            David R. Pierce
            NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
            POB 343
            New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Brewhouse plus 5 jacketed unis, 5 brites (all 7 BBL but they're not sure), mill, nice plate filter, glycol unit, a couple pumps (CIP) and random bits and pieces. It's quite a list and may include a couple 20BBL Criveller brites.

Comment

We paid 68K for the complete system. Mill-augers-grist case-MonoBloc-5 fermenters-4BBT's- Misc piping hoses, clamps lab equipment etc, This was in 2004.

Comment

2004 was a long time ago, I acquired 2 full rigs (including 19 tanks) for what it cost me to rig out in '04. I was looking at a similar bohonk comparably equipped just three moths ago that was on and off the market in a week, at $125k. Anything under a hunge is probably a good deal. One thing to be acutely aware of is that the jacketed servers from that era were problematic if the glycol was run at pressures exceeding 1 bar, the tanks had a tendency to belly in and reduce their ability to cool efficiently as well as reduce their capacity.

Comment

Pure gold. Thanks, guys. I'm rolling the dice for under 60K but the business partner of my contact took a deposit on the system before I put in my bid so I'll have to gut out the long weekend and hope this guy doesn't come through. I'll know more on Tuesday. Again, thanks. Nothing like ProBrewer to cut through the fog.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

Old thread I know - but I'm curious about todays values. I'm looking at a 15BBL with 4 FV's and 6 single walled serving tanks. Also includes Columbia boiler, Edwards glycol chiller, Peerless 2 roll mill and the all expensive Cablevey grist conveying system. Any idea what this should run? I'm not sure if the used market is hot or cold right now either.

Comment

I just picked up a 10bbl for 20K. We are having to do a ton of work to put it back together. I need to find someone that can help me out with the system.

Does anyone know where to find:
                        1) Valve seats?
                        2) Temprature Controls?

I would love to talk to someone that has brewed and worked on one of these systems before.

Give me a ring any time...
                        Evan
                        805 403 6973

Comment

Bo valve seats!

yes, yes, yes! I need some Bo valve seats too if anyone can help. PM me

Comment

Valve Seats

I'm always looking to reproduce gaskets that are hard to find (and widely used)... I would need someone to be able to give one up that is in good shape to use as a model. If you have one, give me a call or send me an email.
                            Dwight
                            Brewery Gaskets
                            (877) 456-5230
                            dwight@brewerygaskets.com
                            Jet Gasket & Seal Co
                            Brewerygaskets.com
                            (702) 448-6787

Comment

Pump Cavitation

I know this is an old thread, but I just took over a defunct brewery with a 10bbl mono block and was wondering if anybody has had issues with pump cavitation while trying to whirlpool? As of right now I have to do it by hand. The pump only does it when the wort is hot. Any help would be great.

Comment

Working...
                              X