New Zeland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zeland

Has anyone used the New Zealand Hops? What are like?

I've used the NZ Saaz, they're more like a mid-alpha American hop than a continental or US Saaz, but good overall. They're nice for bittering and aroma both in ales.

I made a porter and used a bit in it, sent a bottle to a friend at Boston Beer, he said he was surprised our brewery was using American hops!

We tried it in both our lager and marzen for both early and late additions, but stopped using it except for bittering in the lager (and not in the marzen at all) in the end.
    www.devilcraft.jp
    www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

If memory serves, I think NZ hops have renamed their varieties - I always thought it a bit odd that they were growing triploid varieties, yet naming them after the classic Euro hops. So Motueka is the new name for the former B. Saaz (confusingly the B. stood for Belgian, after a certain Belgian brewery selected it)

Similarly Riwaka is the new name for D Saaz.

I've used some NZ in the past (I forget which varieties) & found them to be of good quality.
      cheers
      MikeMcG
      Betwixt Beer, Wirral, nr Liverpool, UK.
      Do you want to brew beer yourself? We've everything you need for that. From brewing buckets and brewing kettles to the malt! Make your own beer an enjoy!

Comment

Working...
      X