spent grain handling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spent grain handling?

Can anyone recommend a supplier of a good cart for handling spent grains removed from our lauter tun?

Also, any recommendations on storage solutions until the farmer comes and gets the grain?

Thanks in advance,

John

Hey John,
    I use Rubbermaid's 1/2 and 3/4 cubic yard trash carts. Obviously how big or how many you use will depend on the amount of grain and rate of turner over for your farmer. Goodluck!
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Hello John,

I intend to use one of those plastic, caged, palletised containers with the top cut of. I'll be able to position it underneath the lautertun with a pallet jack and move it around with the forklift truck when full. They take about 1 cubic meter. Being plastic they shouldn't leak.

Cheers,

Jurriaan.

Comment

I use one of these hoppers, they fit on the forklift and can be emptied by just pulling the lever latch. We dump into a huge dumpster that has a sealed lid that our local cattle farmer provides us. He picks up weekly and drops off a clean dumpster. The hopper rinses out with water and gets stored away when done.

Here is the link

Just follow the hopper link on the left side.

Comment

Do you sell or give away the spent grains

Looks like a neat system. Just out of curiosity, does anyone sell their spent grains, or are they usually just given away? I realize that it's a value to have them hauled away for free, but at the same time it seems like they should be worth something to the farmer, too. I suppose if there was some competition between farmers to get them ...

Also, how quickly does mold form on the wet grain? A week seems like a long time. Can it hurt the livestock?

Thanks.

Bill Velek

Comment

At a former brewpub I worked at we had an arrangement with our farmer. We gave him free spent grain all year long and he gave us free pumpkins in the fall ro brew our pumpkin ale. Perhaps depending on what type of business your farmer is in you might we able to get something back in return beyond just the removal of the grain, which is a nice thing in itself.
            Cheers,
            Mike Roy
            Brewmaster
            Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
            5123 Baltimore Ave
            Hyattsville,MD 20781
            301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
            @franklinsbrwry
            facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Thanks!