Finnings with yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finnings with yeast

I want to make some real ale wwwith beer that has already been finned. I know, I'm late and the beer is cold but I need a few corny's. Does anyone have any expierence with using a yeast that has finnings in it? Logic suggests that it will drop thee yeast out. But at ambient, there should be enough to at least prime a corny? What do you think?

I have used fined yeast when repitching on occasion with no unusual results.
    My real ale has no priming as true real ale is uncarbonated.
    The head is provided by the correct tap.
    Chris

Comment

I am sure there's always enough yeast floating around to ferment the priming sugar.
      however, I suspect it's will take quite a while of conditioning to bring the CO2 to the right level, as most of the yeast are dropped and probably not in their healthiest state.

why not pitch in some fresh yeast for conditioning?

Comment

Oh yes I will use fresh yeast, I was just worried about residual finnings in the fermentor. My beers don't get bright until I rack them into the ST so the beer for the real ale will have some finnings in it.

Comment

At the risk of sounding stupid I will share something that I usually don't.
          I will usually select yeast that has been fined, and select a production yeast that works better after it is fined. Yeast that has been fined IMHO has a tendency to store better. And just like training fleas for a flea circus, my other hobby, the selected yeasts do exactly what you tell them.

Comment

Even if the beer has been fined, all you have to do is rouse the yeast. Take the corny and give it a few rolls. You don't have to roll it around the block, just enough to kick the yeast back up into suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by bruboss
              I have used fined yeast when repitching on occasion with no unusual results.
              My real ale has no priming as true real ale is uncarbonated.
              The head is provided by the correct tap.
              Chris
              true real ale is uncarbonated?????
              oh aye, & of course it needs to be served warm & cloudy too?

Nooooooooo

In the UK some real ales are primed, some have their fermentation arrested so as to leave natural priming sugars, many (sadly) seem to be served uncarbonated, but this is not how it should be - the other term for RA is cask-conditioned - i.e. that a conditioning (natural carbonating process) should happen in the cask, in the pub cellar. This involves the use of hard & soft pegs (aka "spiles") & checking to see if the condition is right.

IMO many pubs use "the correct tap" (i.e. a swan-neck & sparkler) to create head on a beer that lacks carbonation, but the difference between a fresh naturally-carbonated beer & a lifeless though "sparklered" pint is enormous.

This is a point missed by many UK real ale drinkers, but as I say, when you get a good, fresh pint, well-conditioned - it's one of the best beery experiences in the world
              cheers
              MikeMcG
              Betwixt Beer Co, nr Liverpool, UK
              PS it's "finings" & "fined" (rhymes with whinings) not "finnings"
              Do you want to brew beer yourself? We've everything you need for that. From brewing buckets and brewing kettles to the malt! Make your own beer an enjoy!

Comment

I can only say : listen to Mike McG / mic_mac - he knows whereof he speaks.

Gregg
                Gregg

Comment

Sorry speaking out of turn.
                  Yes, cask conditioned is carbonated.
                  No, it does not have to be cloudy and warm - who suggested that ?
                  Again sorry I stand corrected...think before you post!!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by bruboss
                    Sorry speaking out of turn.
                    Yes, cask conditioned is carbonated.
                    No, it does not have to be cloudy and warm - who suggested that ?
                    Again sorry I stand corrected...think before you post!!

Chris
                    Hi Chris,
                    yes, properly cask/real ale has a low, but lovely level of natural CO2.

my somewhat sarcastic mention of "warm & cloudy" was suggesting that each one of these characteristics (warm, cloudy & flat) is inappropriate for good real ale.

Though, that said, I did hear of some US brewpubs/micros selling intentionally cloudy beer as real ale, so as to prove their unfiltered credentials? (to me though, if it's cloudy with English ale yeast, it's prob going to taste like s**t).

People in the UK who don't know real ale say that it's served warm (& flat) - & sometimes it is, but it shouldn't be - that was the cheeky point I was trying to make.
                    cheers
                    Mike.

Comment

Working...
                    X