Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering- I have NO idea!

Hey all,

My new position requires me to use a Spadoni DE filter and I have NO support from anywhere on how to use it or what, exactly to do. I've got the manual and am trying to walk through it but it's a horrific translation and our system looks a bit different than the one in the book, so I'm not sure where I'm doing things right and where I'm not.

Can anyone help? I know it's a big request but any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm expected to have beer out the door by Thursday. Nothing like being thrown in the deep end with weights on the ends of your legs!

Thanks!

My advice to you would be to start calling either local breweries or brewpubs and ask if you can observe their filtering techniques. Yes you can learn some basics from a manual but are YOU going to know what to do if your filter doesn't run by the book. Most people who have filtered beer would tell you that there are more things that can go wrong than go right.
    Talk with your boss and let them know what's going on. Better to be the guy who could not do the job then the guy who really f***ed it up.
    If there is no one that can help you then start by simply running water through it. Identify and know the valves and what the function and purpose of each valve. Run the machine in a recirculation set up and observe the pressure changes. Know what the pressure limit for your machine is.(~5 bar)
    Don't let the pressure rise to fast or to high! I've seen a bell housing from a 3m velo that was dented on top from where it hit the trusses on the ceiling. Scary!Remember that there must always be somewhere for the beer to go.
    Anyway I've only touched on one issue that you could face. I'm sure there are other folks locally for that could give you the help that you need.

Cheers
    ABCDAVE

Comment

Spadoni Filter

Your best bet is to contact Prospero at 315-719-0480 ask for Rich Turner he can walk you through everything. He has been very helpful for us and is very knowledgable. Good Luck.

Don

Comment

You can try Your DE supplier also. A good supplier should have a technical person around to make sure you are a happy customer....i.e., Making sure you have no problems with there product and to answer, maybe not all, but alot of your questions.

Comment

I think there's a good overview article on it in Nov/Dec 1997 of the New Brewer. If you're a member, the BA will send you a copy.

Also, Wolfgang Kunze's textbook explains mechanically how it works.

I learned powder filtration the hard way also and found that reading about what was actually going on helped, rather than just trying it and not understanding when stuff went wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X