Marzen / Oktoberfest Hoppings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marzen / Oktoberfest Hoppings

sold out of my first batch of oktoberfest and the customers want me to brew another batch. the only complaint i received was some people thought the hop presence was too strong. this was my first batch of lager ever brewed some i was wondering what some of your thoughts are....

this was the existing recipe at the brewpub
    6 bbl.
    365# grain vienna, munich, pils
    .75# northern brewer (9%) 90 min
    .75# n.b. 20 min
    3# hall.select (1.5%) 1 minute
    approx. 22 ibu
    bavarian lager yeast

can anyone share their hopping schedule with me....

I would keep the first two additions as is, but drop the flameout addition completely.
    Troy Robinson
    Quirk Brewing
    Walla Walla

Comment

there's iso-alpha acid that we want for bitterness, but there are still tons of other resins that impart hop flavor...
      I really would stay away from late kettle hop for an (intended) clean tasting lager, just to avoid the big mouthful of hop flavor.
      also, just because it's in the WP doesn't mean it's not hot enough to still isomerize alpha acid. it will add extra IBU as well!

If you want dominant hop aroma, try dry hopping instead.

Comment

I agree with Troy. Your final addition looks disproportionate if you're going to try and reduce hop presence. Either cut it dramatically or just leave it out.
        Kevin McGee

Healdsburg Beer Company
        Sonoma County, California

"Because this town sure didn't need another winery."

Comment

Or maybe not use the NBs. I love the hop but it is spicy. R u going to have time to make this beer? It's my impression that Okto losses its punch NOV. 1st. You can always call it Vienna Ale though.

Comment

Working...
          X