Wheat bock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheat bock

Any ideas on Wheat bock? I am thinking about making a winter warmer with 35% wheat 2-Row and carafa making a 20 srm. Using 1056. Sounds boring as hell to me. Need some inspiration Thanks

How about adding 20% local honey. We do something similar with our Weizen strain and I love it!

Looking at it, our grain bill for this is more like 60% wheat, rest two row and some coloured.

Cheers,
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

Comment

I believe traditionally they only use wheat malt and munich.
      throw in some light crystal if you have a sweet tooth like me.
      I wouldn't swear by carafa and let it take the lead role though.

Comment

I did something similar last year, a "nut brown wheat", but threw in a bag of Malted Oats and a couple gallons of Molasses. It was a bit harsh (due to the molasses) for a few weeks but it mellowed very nicely within 3-4 weeks. The last of it is aging beautifully in a bourbon barrel, hmm i think it may be time to go get another taste.
        Last edited by Jephro; 10-14-2008, 12:54 PM.
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

40% dark munich, 60% wheat
          Perle hops
          Wyeast 3068

Yum!
          Paul Thomas
          Brewer
          Sockeye Brewing
          www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

60% Wheat? YOu using hulls on that?

Comment

Nope. Brewed a German wheat this summer, 56.4% wheat, 97 min. lauter. 10 Bbls. Slow and steady run off, no problems.
              Paul Thomas
              Brewer
              Sockeye Brewing
              www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

What do you think of 1056 on that. The W Bock I made at another place was too much 3068ish.Lots of banana and clove that I thaught clashed with the special malts

Comment

I would agree with using the higher wheat percentage in your grain bill and the use of munich malts, 60/40 wheat/munich. The rice hulls would pertain to your systems ability to lauter, bed depth to width ratio vs. grain weight on the bed (what gravity are you shooting for?), whether you have v-wire of perforated bottoms. A great deal of mash issues can also come form your mill being set too fine and the mealiness of you grain. As far as yeast strains I have not personally brewed a wheat bock (weizenbock) on the larger scale but the Wyeast site suggests the 3056 Bavarian wheat strain that handles up to 10% abv and produces the mild ester and phenolic characteristics normally associated with the style.

Comment

I think the 1056 would work for an American-style Weisenbock, maybe 1010 if you want it to appear cloudy. But if you are going for a German style I'd use a German yeast- 3333 and 3638 may be other good choices in addition to the aforementioned 3056. Wyeast website does have a lot of good info. Good Luck!
                    Paul Thomas
                    Brewer
                    Sockeye Brewing
                    www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Pale Weizenbock

I recently brewed a pale weizenbock at our pub with 60% wheat, pale, munich I, and a touch of biscuit, at 17 Plato, 19 IBUS. I used the White Labs Hefe IV, which was my virgin exp. with that yeast, and I really enjoy it. All things being equal, as compared to the Hefe Ale yeast, it produces less banana, with more pronounced clove. We did extensive protein rests to get lots of 4-VG, and the results are great. Pitched it at 62, held at 64 till 2/3 attenuation and let it rise to about 69. There is still banana of course, but a great balance. Super Hefeweizen is what it has been dubbed by our regulars. Try the Weihenstephan Vitus for an excellent example of a pale Weizenbock, one of my new favorite styles.

Jamie Fulton
                      The Covey Restaurant & Brewery
                      Fort Worth, TX

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Jamie, could you please explain what happens in a protein rest to produce 4-GV. I've not heard this before. Thanks!
                        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
                          Jamie, could you please explain what happens in a protein rest to produce 4-GV. I've not heard this before. Thanks!
                          I'm curious too, I thought to produce 4-GV you needed to be in the beta-glucan rest temperature zone around 105F (40C)?

Cheers,
                          Andrew Lavery
                          Brewery Manager
                          O'Brien Brewing Pty Ltd
                          http://www.gfbeer.com.au

Comment

Yes, I thaught that 4 GV was just a yeast thing

Comment

Ferulic acid

Sorry to be so vague... 4VG (4-vinyl guaiacol) IS a product of fermentation. However to create significant amounts of 4VG, you need the precursor to this compound, ferulic acid, the bonds of which are broken from pentosanes in grain at temps of around 45 C. You will get some ferulic acid without doing a rest in this temperature zone, but I have found through experience and conversation with other brewers, that this rest will enhance the amount of 4VG created. Hope that helps.

Jamie Fulton
                              The Covey Restaurant & Brewery
                              Fort Worth, TX

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Working...
                              X