Drying hops in a grain dryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying hops in a grain dryer

Hello all. Does anyone have any experience of drying hops in a grain dryer? I've been approached by a local farmer who wants to start growing hops in Hampshire, England, but doesn't really want to go to the expense of building a drying kiln but does have a grain dryer on site. I don't want to put him off the idea as it would be fantastic to get hops growing again in Hampshire. I think there's only one hop grower at the moment and his output is solely for ornamental use. He's talking about an initial area of fourteen acres and I think a hedgerow variety would be best suited. Any information, bright ideas or pointers in the right direction gratefully recieved.

Rick Pederson of Pederson farms in Geneva, NY uses a grain drying bin, or used to anyway. You should be able to find him online, I have lost all contact info on him. He is also plugged into the Cornell Cooperative Extension in NY.

Comment

Using a grain dryer in humid climes is a great idea, just can not always use the controller for grains.
      Does he intend to dedicate this dryer to hops or go back and forth between different uses?

How do you dry hops for decorative uses exactly?

Comment

I would imagine he's using just the vines.
        www.devilcraft.jp
        www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

hop drying methods

Grain dryers, or any gentle dryer will work, but the devil is in the details. Even just a bit overdry will result in shatter, resin loss, and VERY poor pelletizing. In most hop growing regions in the US (45 degees north lat.) the hops will air dry to no more then about 12-15% MC with no heat. It might take a little while but you're less likely to fry the bracts and cause shatter.
          James Altwies
          Director/Horticulturist
          Gorst Valley Hops
          www.gorstvalleyhops.com

Comment

Working...
          X