Unfiltered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfiltered?

Im currently switching over all of my beers except my cream ale to an unfiltered presentation. I am however using a 20" cartridge at 20 um to catch floaters and hop particles (from dryhopped beers). The cartridge doesnt really filter much but the very large particles. Is it appropriate to still label this beer as unfiltered? My tanks are not set up with a racking arm so it is tough not to get some yeast clumps during transfer hence the cartridge filter. Personally I dont have a real problem with labeling it unfiltered but was just curious as to different opinions.
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

I wouldn't label it unfiltered but also would free feel tell anyone who asked that it was unfiltered. Never know there are nuts out there that think unfiltered beer is bad. I never want to lose a customer before they've had a beer. just my $.02.

K

Comment

I dont advertise it as unfiltered but I do tell the servers and bartenders and anyone else who asks.
      Big Willey

Comment

Thats how i would do it.

Comment

Just curious, where does one obtain such a cartridge, and how do you connect it (inline?)? An item like this could save me some time and frustration.

Comment

I had a professor who frequently criticized answers in this way: "Don't tell me what it's not -- tell me what it is!"

Rather than "unfiltered" how about "mit hefe" or "with extra B vitamins"?

Comment

I purchased the filter housing and cartridges from Seperation Technologies, its a stainless housing with triclamp fittings. You just pop the cartridge in and screw it down and put it after the pump. The cartridges come in lots of pore sizes. 5um 10um 25um etc. It works well for beers that are already pretty clear. Dont try and clean up much though as you can imagine a 20" cartridge isnt much. I can do 30 Bbls through one.
              Big Willey

Comment

Originally posted by Woolsocks
                I had a professor who frequently criticized answers in this way: "Don't tell me what it's not -- tell me what it is!"
                Rather than "unfiltered" how about "mit hefe" or "with extra B vitamins"?
                cracking me up!

Any good scientist can only tell you what it's not -- that's how science works: it disproves alternative hypotheses.

But seriously though, marketing-wise, it depend on how your customers perceive the product. I have had some awful beer that sells like crazy simply because it's labeled "unfiltered" and their customers have all that idea that anything differ from the mega brewer is good. I also know plenty of people that immediately label cloudy beer as too "crafty" and heavy before drinking it.

I take it your beer is still rather bright, maybe just not brilliantly polished. Processing technology and QC/QA aside, you probably should label it (or not) however your customer may prefer (we are not talking about science here... we are talking about the art of persuasion.) Alternatively, get really marketing "unfiltered to retain the full flavor per traditional brewing technique of the style"

Comment

Thanks for the info!

If God wanted us to filter our beer in the brew house, he wouldn't have provided us with a liver!

Cheers
                  Jay

Comment

Working...
                  X