Dry yeast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry yeast question

How long is an opened(partially used) packet of dry yeast good when refrigerated? I am not using a full 500g packet and want to get opinions on whether to save or not. I use 3 different types of dry yeast and it may be 2 weeks before I use the remaining yeast from a packet? What's the consensus?
    Adam Moore
    HotSpringsBrewingCo

for quite a while

I'd say it would be good until the exp. date on the package. You really risk introducing contaminates by having the open package but the yeast is still dehydrated so it should store just fine. However, I'm a little unsure of the effect oxygen will have on the yeast. Mike Pensinger might have some insight.

Comment

its all relative

According to the manufactures liturature once the package is opened quality is compromised, due to oxidation and or contamination issues. However I have used dry bakers yeast that has been open for over two years and it still made bread just fine. So I guess "good" is an issue of how much yeast viability/"quality" decline you are willing to tolerate. You could also get one of those food saver type canisters, sanitize and let dry completely put your yeast in there, nitrogen flush and then evac the canister. Viola re-packaged yeast.

Comment

The package itself says use all but the guy that turned me on to it said he routinely used partial packages. I would say that if you are VERY carefull and seal the package back up you should be alright.

I might suggest that you do your yeast measuringin in your lab and seal the package with a heat sealer away from the brewing operation and then refrigerate again.

It works out that I used 2 packages for the 25bbl batch at AleWerks and that was slightly underpitched. River Company has 10bbl batches so 1 package should be just about perfect.

Mike
        Mike Pensinger
        General Manager/Brewmaster
        Parkway Brewing Company
        Salem, VA

Comment

Dry yeast storage for opened packs

Hi everyone, as dry yeast manufacturer we do not recommend that you keep using yeast from opened pack. The reason is that when the yeast is in contact with oxygen it will rapidly loose viability. However, if you have the possibility to re-seal the pack getting rid of the oxygen then that should keep you going. You can also transfer the yeast to a ziploc bag or similar and freeze the dry yeast. But even then i would not keep it longer than 1 week.
          Please let le know if you have other questions.
          Sylvie

Comment

Opened yeast

I've used opened dry yeast in 500 gram packages for making bread instead of brewing because of possible contamination issues. I make bread about once a week. The opened dry yeast ceases to raise the bread after about four months. Failing to raise a loaf of bread is less tragic, and happens much more slowly than failing to ferment a batch of beer properly. I've also had the misfortune of using UNopened dry yeast that did not attenuate properly in many batches of beer--turned out that the yeast was past it's shelf life. Now I won't use yeast for brewing more than a day after opening the package. What's the cost of yeast vs. a batch of carefully prepared wort? And where are your priorities? You're only talking about throwing away $15 of yeast. If you need to use yeast again within two weeks of opening a package, then you might think about cropping and repitching from your first batch. Don't skimp on quality if your name goes on the beer. My two cents. Good luck and happy brewing!
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
              ....I've also had the misfortune of using UNopened dry yeast that did not attenuate properly in many batches of beer--turned out that the yeast was past it's shelf life. Now I won't use yeast for brewing more than a day after opening the package......
              If it's a viability issue, then why not propagate more prior to pitching?

Comment

Arguably the best thing about dry yeast is having pitching quantities of your yeast any time you want it. Propagating yeast requires a fairly precise schedule to have fresh wort available at each step up over the course of a week or so. The brewery I referred to had no propagation equipment--and the brewers had no interest in learning how. The simple solution was to buy more fresh yeast. One way I save a bit on dry yeast costs is to repitch, and another way is to brew two days into one double fermenter using a single package of yeast. Best of luck!
                Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
                X