Peter Austin Brick System Questions about Removal and Transportation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Austin Brick System Questions about Removal and Transportation

This is ten barrel direct fired system in Atlanta, GA. I have a few questions about brick kettles.

Has anyone had experience with removing a brick system and transporting it? The brick BK and HLT are brick into the ground. Can this type of copper top, stainless interior, and brick exterior system be broken down easily? I've had a lot of ideas, but cannot figure anything worth a flip. I was thinking about just breaking the system down, brick and all, then (without transporting the brick, just disposal or well salvaging it) re doing the brick again in the new location.

Things are in good condition and the price is good, but maybe can be better. It has been sitting for years and they want it out.

Anything is appreciated.
    Nick Tanner
    Head Brewer/Founder
    Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
    Cumming, GA
    www.cherrystreetbrewing.com

Exterior (vernier) Brick are radial, and very difficult to find. More difficult to produce as the minimum runs exceed the need for a small kettle and HLT. You can leave the refractory (interior) brick behind, but if you are doing the demo and salvaging any parts you should just take them all. When all is said and done you will loose some bricks, you can usually add a "soldier course" of bricks of a different type to compensate for loses. Fun project and a good kettle, be careful how you set up the burner, if you put it directly under the racking port it will be a perpetual ass-ache.

Comment

I installed a Peter Austin system at Williamsburg AleWerks and we were suppossed to have all the bricks to do it. We did not. My mason did it with normal bricks and while there is a little chatter to it it looks darn good. We get compliments on it every day.

Your sdystem is a smaller than ours was (25bbl) so you may have to deal with the radius bricks. We were quoted $4+ per brick for the radius version. Save as many of those as you can. We reused as many of the fire bricks as we had and then used the curved for the step around the bottom of the vessels.

I spent over 2 weeks with a brick hammer chipping mortar off what we had.

Mike
      Mike Pensinger
      General Manager/Brewmaster
      Parkway Brewing Company
      Salem, VA

Comment

Working...
      X