Cost of materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of materials

Im trying to determine the cost to brew an average 3 BBL batch. Ive looked at several sources and would like some first hand information. If you can provide details that would help.
    Thanks,
    Tim
    Battlefield Brewing Jan 09

As always the answer can be complicated and cannot be easily answered (accurately) because there really are too many variables. If you are just talking COGS, then those numbers can easily be picked up. Actual prime costs are another story, dependant on many factors beyond a simple discussion board reply. Are you just looking for ingredient cost of goods?
    -Bx
    Last edited by beauxman; 11-11-2008, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VMITIM90
      Im trying to determine the cost to brew an average 3 BBL batch. Ive looked at several sources and would like some first hand information. If you can provide details that would help.
      Thanks,
      Tim
      Battlefield Brewing Jan 09

Hi Tim:

As you know your Beer cost is a reflection of what you brew with, i.e., Rawmaterial, use more - cost is up; use less - cost is down.
      There are a lot of variables; such as your processing aids, processing techniques - boil time etc., water treatment minerals, etc which you have to keep in mind.
      Also, filtered vs. non-filtered beers (the ones you transfer..) play a role in your cost calculation. What you pay your Brewer(s) reflects also in the costs; as far as the Brewer...you get what you pay for (keep that in mind, please).

Cheers,

Fred

Comment

cost calculations

I agree that figuring cost can be a pain. There is cost to produce which will include all your processing aids, but then you also need to look at how much beer you have when you are finished. Example if you make a 7 bbl batch and by the time you transfer, filter, etc you end up with 6.1, that dividing factor will raise the cost. Also factor in anywhere from 7 to 11 percent in waste, foam, bartenders spilling or giving away product (assuming a brew pub scenario) and you end up with even less beer to divide into your cost, therefore raise the overall cost again.

You need to track three or four different costs. Unfortunatly I dont know which ones fall into which overall accounting catagory.

Good Luck.
        "Uncle" Frank
        Frank Fermino
        Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
        Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
        Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Comment

Cost of materials

I have one estimate of $2.25 per gallon with a factor of $0.50 per lb malt, $18avg hops per lb, water/general utilities/gas cost not included ($0.10-0.30gal), yeast costs average over time (7 harvests) bringing a 3bbl batch to around $210 in materials. Thats just one figure, but it's a ball park.
          Jeremy
          Brewery Consultant

Comment

Working...
          X