Orange Zest Product Ingredient Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Zest Product Ingredient Question

came across a product from our food distributor that seems to be a good substitute for orange zest. i've talked to a few homebrewers that have used it a little in their holiday ales or wits with no problems. it is a fresh product with an awesome aroma.

vanini orange rappe
    The largest nationwide selection of imported specialty pastry ingredients, tartlets, decorations and confections, supported by recipe and menu development.

after looking at the ingredients i see that it has citric acid and potassium sorbate in it.

do you think that this product might be dangerous to the fermentation?
    i believe potassium sorbate is used to inhibit mold and yeast growth in food products.

sounds too risky to try. maybe the small quanity used in a homebrew was ok but multiplying that quanity for a large batch seems seedy.

Sounds interesting, but your right potassium sorbate is used to inhibit yeast production (re-fermentation ) particularly in the wine industry. Quick searches indicate 200 mg/l is enough to inhibit yeast in wine that is 10% ABV. It also has the potential to introduce bubble-gum and geranium like flavors/smells. So I'm guessing it can be potent stuff. I would think adding it post fermentation like an extract in the brites could work but the question is do you need heat to solubulize it. I personally would stick to all natural fresh ingredients over processed or condensed items.

Comment

while the topic of zest is being discussed......

would anyone share about how many oranges it takes to produce enough zest for a nice flavor in a holiday spiced ale?

is a certain type of orange better than another?

brewing a 7 bbl batch this year.

thanks

Comment

i am also preparing for a holiday spiced ale.

anyone know approx. how much (oz.) of zest you get out of an average sized orange? a dozen?

how does honey affect a beer besides added sugar? the aroma and taste always seem to lessen. is there a way to hold on to them?

ps-looked into a similar zest product like above and a wine producer i know said he'd steer clear of it just in case.

Comment

what about the use of flavored vodkas? orange?
          grand marnier?

any experimentation out there

Comment

1 large orange = 2 Tablespoons of zest

found a better product from perfect puree in napa valley. order online. its a frozen product 100% natural, no additives. $25 for 38 oz. or so.
            gotta compare it to the price of bags of oranges and carpel tunnel surgery from hours of zesting.

Comment

Working...
            X