PDA

View Full Version : Orange Zest Product Ingredient Question

imakewort
11-13-2008, 08:28 AM
came across a product from our food distributor that seems to be a good substitute for orange zest. i've talked to a few homebrewers that have used it a little in their holiday ales or wits with no problems. it is a fresh product with an awesome aroma.

vanini orange rappe
http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=008020&Category_Code=1f_FRUITPROD

after looking at the ingredients i see that it has citric acid and potassium sorbate in it.

do you think that this product might be dangerous to the fermentation?
i believe potassium sorbate is used to inhibit mold and yeast growth in food products.

sounds too risky to try. maybe the small quanity used in a homebrew was ok but multiplying that quanity for a large batch seems seedy.

South County
11-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Sounds interesting, but your right potassium sorbate is used to inhibit yeast production (re-fermentation ) particularly in the wine industry. Quick searches indicate 200 mg/l is enough to inhibit yeast in wine that is 10% ABV. It also has the potential to introduce bubble-gum and geranium like flavors/smells. So I'm guessing it can be potent stuff. I would think adding it post fermentation like an extract in the brites could work but the question is do you need heat to solubulize it. I personally would stick to all natural fresh ingredients over processed or condensed items.

brewingnewbie
11-15-2008, 09:08 AM
while the topic of zest is being discussed......

would anyone share about how many oranges it takes to produce enough zest for a nice flavor in a holiday spiced ale?

is a certain type of orange better than another?

brewing a 7 bbl batch this year.

thanks

ibrewforyou
11-18-2008, 07:28 PM
i am also preparing for a holiday spiced ale.

anyone know approx. how much (oz.) of zest you get out of an average sized orange? a dozen?

how does honey affect a beer besides added sugar? the aroma and taste always seem to lessen. is there a way to hold on to them?

ps-looked into a similar zest product like above and a wine producer i know said he'd steer clear of it just in case.

brewingnewbie
11-19-2008, 09:19 AM
what about the use of flavored vodkas? orange?
grand marnier?

any experimentation out there

imakewort
11-20-2008, 04:39 PM
1 large orange = 2 Tablespoons of zest

found a better product from perfect puree in napa valley. order online. its a frozen product 100% natural, no additives. $25 for 38 oz. or so.
gotta compare it to the price of bags of oranges and carpel tunnel surgery from hours of zesting.