Palm Sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palm Sugar

I intend to brew a small batch of a seasonal with Palm Sugar as a crutial ingredient. The local ethnic markets cannot supply me with an adequate amount. Does anyone have a suggestion?
    Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Google

A quick google search found many sources. Amazon is a great source for uncommon stuff like palm sugar too.
    Last edited by Jephro; 11-21-2008, 02:17 PM.
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

Palm sugar?

I was wondering when someone else in America was going to commercially brew with palm sugar. I would love to try your beer. We use it as a key ingredient in our Pandan brown ale. Try going to a restaurant wholesaler. Get the sugar in vaccume sealed 1lb cakes not the stuff in the little jars....what a pain.
      Cheers,
      Joe

Laughing Buddha Brewing Co.

Comment

Palm Sugar...

It should be pointed out that all Palm sugar isn't created 'equally'.

There's the stuff from India which has a very pleasant honey/buttery flavor and is also very cheap. I can get a 5 kg 'cone' of it for about $14-15 bucks in the SF Bay Area.

Then there is the Thailand version which is also nice tasting but gives off a rather solventy character if fermented above 70 degrees F. I was using this type for a Belgian style Tripel and it didn't go over so well with beer judges so I stopped using it. I have in turn gone back to dextrose...

Indian Palm sugar also known as Jaggery or Gur is pretty easy to find in cities with a sizable Indian population. Otherwise search the internet...

Tash

Comment

Working...
        X