Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acquiring an Education on Brew Systems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acquiring an Education on Brew Systems...

So my buddies and I have been kicking around the idea of having a Brew Pub for quite a few years, and 2 of the group have run professional Resaurant franchises in their careers. We have some startup capitol, and are now considering which type of system to hunt up; do we go for Direct Fire, or maybe a Steam system? What are the pro's and Con's of one over the other?

We plan on a small initial startup, and had considered we'll be starting with a few thousand sq. ft. and 3.5 bbl system, but want to be sure we can expand later on. We figured we would have 5 beers and brew as needed.

How to plan consumption & scheduling? So many questions....where to get this education?

You found the right discussion board I can promise you that!
    Your first best bet is to use the search function and put in key words
    ie direct fire, brew systems etc. And then scroll away and fill your mind!

You'll certainly have more questions but there is YEARS worth of answers to your initial questions inside that lil' search box!

good luck!

Comment

I think what you are really looking for experience- and that search function. IMHO there is no substitute for real world experience. Either hire someone who has it (like a consultant), or find a brewpub to volunteer or work at for a while.

Keep in mind it takes roughly the same amount of time to brew 3.5 bbl's as it does 7 bbl's or 15 bbl's. If you plan to grow, don't box yourself in from the start by buying too small a system.
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll start searching right away. Our plan involves starting with the smaller system and after upgrading using it to brew batches for botteling...although after recieving this "education" i may change my mind!

Comment

From the lurking I've done here, I think the concensus would be to go big.

As mentioned, time is not really a factor between 3.5, 7, and 15.

I think space would be your primary concern. Also, if you could find a sweet deal on a smaller system, that might be a better option than a new system that was larger.

Comment

Working...
          X